Moderna Therapeutics - Working at Moderna is different work experience for better or worse | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Moderna Therapeutics

"Working at Moderna is different work experience for better or worse"

Current Employee - Indentured Servant
Current Employee - Indentured Servant

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The strength of Moderna is in the potential of the technology that we are working on. For the most part the people working in the lab make it easier to deal with some of the stress and pressure thrown at the research staff by upper management.

Cons

The poor planning and the changing of experiments and goals on the fly makes it extremely difficult at times to execute the proper experiments. There is also a sense of disrespect towards the research associates by upper management. The feeling is that they do not care about our personal time and our personal obligations outside of the Moderna building. This has lead to a turn style type turnover in employees. Some of the turnover was a good thing for the company as it removed some of the excess baggage; however, there also has been very skilled people who have left the company and that can not happen if Moderna is going to be succesful.

Advice to Management

It is important for management to realize that they need to respect their employees time and opinions because there are many very skilled and intelligent people in the lab that are not easily replaced. The compensation and benefits offered also need to become more competitive or people will continue to leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Moderna Therapeutics

"Excellent company home to great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Moderna is a fast evolving and exciting company. I was fortunate to spend 2+ great years there before deciding to leave as part of a change in careers. I enjoyed great support while there, which continued despite my decision to leave.

The collaborative environment at Moderna makes it a special place to not only do great science in your subject expertise area but to learn from truly cross-functional teams.

Despite a growing number of development targets, the senior management continues to invest heavily in research but more importantly in people too.

The senior management team is constantly adding benefits for the employees and uses a "Voice of the Employees" forum to prioritize these initiatives.

Free transport pass or parking, free phone, free lunch are just some of the nice perks.

It is not a company for people who want to do a 9-5 job; there is a constant drive to improve the technology through collaborative science. You will have accelerated learning and growth.

Employees at all levels get the opportunity to own their work and to interact with some of the best scientists in biotech, including some great external advisers.

Lots of happy hours, company outings and fun parties!

Cons

Negative reviews from early days are not reflective of the current company

I was there through much change at the company and this is a company that experienced hyper growth, with growing pains but these are largely solved now.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people
    As you grow keep the "start-up mentality" that made it a fun, dynamic place to work

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics (More than a year)

Pros

Although Moderna is over-hyped, there is some exciting science taking place there. There are also a lot of good people who work there

Cons

The arrogance of certain members of management is hard to swallow when you consider the fact that all but one has NEVER developed a drug or have been part of a team that has. The oppressive culture is generally true although some groups experience it worse than others. A lot of good talent left while I was there.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't really know where to begin. I guess what's happening at Moderna is true of a lot of biotechs, it just seems more exaggerated. There seem to be a lot of overpaid people who do very little and lean heavily on lesser paid people who have too much to do, solving this issue would be a good start.