Moe's Southwest Grill - Excellent learning experience as a first job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Moe's Southwest Grill

"Excellent learning experience as a first job"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Asheville, NC
Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Moe's Southwest Grill part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, my experience with Moe's is limited to the particular franchise I was working at. I never had any interaction with corporate, therefore I cannot speak for the company as a whole.

Working at Moe's was my first job, and I had a very good experience with the restaurant. The managers and owner were willing to listen to the employees and everyone was treated fairly.

Cons

Not taken nearly as seriously as the more well-known players in the fast casual burrito industry: Chipotle and Qdoba.

The gimmicks (funky menu names, "Welcome to Moe's!", etc.) are tiresome and, in my opinion, probably not appreciated by many customers.

Advice to Management

I don't know the current long-term goals of upper management, but I would recommend not trying to compete with Chipotle and Qdoba. Moe's is lower-quality food, and should focus on a corresponding customer base.

Other Employee Reviews for Moe's Southwest Grill

1. "Decent job, feel under appreciated."

Current Employee - Manager in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Opelika, AL

I have been working at Moe's Southwest Grill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managing at Moe's is very easy. Store operations are minimal. The customer's love it!

Cons

Often times micromanaged, or simply forgotten about. Supervising management will forget what they have been told, and then attempt to pass the blame. I feel as if my effort and input into the store is overlooked, or just taken for granted. I do feel under appreciated. New salary management is sub-par at best, believes they know everything, but in reality they do not. Fraternization within upper management creates issues with oversight and discipline.

Advice to Management

Create boundaries and grow some self reliance in dealing with "friendly" managers. Personal relationships should not cause management to turn a blind eye to personnel issues. Bad to non existent management in newer salaried managers is bringing down the store. You must be able to realize certain management are not doing what they should be. Just hitting your 45 hours a week and then pawning off a shift so you do not have to work longer says a lot about the manager. Also those 45 hours should be spent a majority in store, not running around or sitting on your computer. A lack of efficiency management is the largest hindrance in the store at the moment.

2. "Okay for a first job"

Former Employee - Line Cook/Prep in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Line Cook/Prep in Norfolk, VA

Pros

The co-workers were awesome. It was a very young crowd because it's close to ODU. The customers were great. It was very rare that we had rude or nasty customers. When we did the manager would stick up for us. It's a good place for a first time job. It was salwyas busy so time went quickly.

Cons

The pay was low 7.00 (back in 2006/2007). I'm sure it went up a little since I worked at Moe's. I was doing too many jobs at once and receiving very little pay. I had to prep (which I was not trained properly to do) cook, and do register.

Advice to Management

Train employees properly in all areas. Offer a better pay for those that deserve or have more than job to do.