Moma - Like joining the priesthood | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Moma

"Like joining the priesthood"

Former Employee - Curatorial Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Curatorial Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

The prestige is, of course, enormous. Go to a cocktail party and say you work at MoMA and all of a sudden the room lights up. In the curatorial department, you'll meet everyone - or at least you'll be near everyone; you might not get to talk to anyone at all if you don't throw some elbows.

Cons

Neurotic in the extreme. Colleague approach their work with the intensity of bankers but with none of the salaries. Too big and too small at the same time - communication is poor, and there's no real opportunity for advancement. Punishingly low salaries, of course, but no worse than anywhere else in the New York art world.

Advice to Management

Listen to your younger staff. We're smarter than you give us credit for, and if you gave us a bit more leeway you'd find we can thrive.

Other Employee Reviews for Moma

1. ":)"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Moma as an intern

Pros

Great people and working space, you could meet other interns who came from all over the world. Also, great staff cafe.

Cons

work load depends on current/upcoming projects, might be super busy or just not much going on.

"Come for the art, stay for the coworkers"

I worked at Moma full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding exhibitions and programs, the best collection in the world, really awesome coworkers. Other museums pale in comparison. I was lucky to have several positions over the years (though that isn't always the case).

Cons

Staff can be overloaded with work. Promotions aren't handled fairly. Inept managers have a deathgrip on their jobs.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the details, and try to show that you value the lower-level staff.