Monster Inc - Job Seekers dont jump on the sinking ship | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Monster Inc

"Job Seekers dont jump on the sinking ship"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Brisbane, CA
Former Employee - Finance Manager in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Monster Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No education requirements. Many workers only have a high school education or overseas equivalent and it was never a problem. I also had no experience in the CE industry. I even had termination from my old job and was welcomed in to my dismay.

Cons

No raises whatsoever, every year the benefits shrink, healthcare gets re-negotiated and everyone applauds them for lowering costs, but no one sees that the employee pays more. Each year my rent goes up but my pay at monster goes techically goes down. We raise the price of cables internationally and pay more each year to monster suppliers, but the employees get nothing. There are no merit raises, annual reviews, or HR department. Really there is no HR ever in their office. They pretend to run marketing or are "working from home". The few times Ive contacted HR it was like a big burden for them to do work. For all of you new hires, make sure you negotiate your salary very high, because thats all youll get.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to listen to its employees and benchmark themselves with other CE companies. Create a HR department and raise the morale of the workers who make monster great. I worked in Finance and I saw all of the salaries go up and up of all the EC members. Some got raises over 400% in the last 5 years. My advice to hire A-players and do what you can to make them happy. Do not be afraid to hire people smarter than you. Yea they may take your job one day, but thats the way the world works. All of the upper management are dictators who bark orders and are so scared of the CEO they become "YES" managers to everything the CEO says. Also not a single person in the company can deal with the senior management of the sales team. Leaders need to engage their workers and inspire them, be role models. Seeing the Senior Sales VP's at Monster show me all of the things I never want to be in a leader. If you have leaders that everyone likes, they will enjoy their jobs more and take a sense of pride working for Monster.

Other Employee Reviews for Monster Inc

"Monsterously Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Overworked and Underappreciated in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Overworked and Underappreciated in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Monster Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free overpriced electronics, that you can give to your family to make up for the time you don't get to spend with them do to being overworked
    -Decent benefits - Pay is alright, Healthcare is subsidized, and a matching 401k
    -A lot of the people are pretty cool but have weird sense of loyalty
    -You get to see a lot of cool cars that the CEO buys with all his profits
    -You will never be more grateful once you find a new job

Cons

-Absolutely no work/life balance. Long nights and weekends trying to keep the company afloat. You're friends and family will hate you, many relationships have ended courtesy of Monster.
    -No solid direction. Monster was on its deathbed until the Beats deal saved the company (they then proceeded to ruin that deal). The CEO thinks that the whole beats model can be copied making partnerships with B-List Celebrities. The company claims to be a well rounded CE manufacturer but in reality all they seem to do is come out with headphones that they can use to get closer to the celebrity scene.
    -Management is there because they will never be able to get a similar job elsewhere. They are all "Yes Men" doing whatever the supreme leader Noel Lee tells them to do regardless of how bad it is for the business.
    -The work environment is not only Hostile, it is toxic and will wear you down physically and emotionally
    -No growth opportunity, like I said management will never leave because they aren't qualified to receive an equal title elsewhere, so there is no room to grow upward. They will dangle the carrot and promise you opportunity to move up but don't expect anything but lateral change, which will get you nowhere in life.
    -Cheap Cheap Cheap- The CEO rakes in a ton of money through his privately own company but don't expect that to be kicked down to the people that actually do work. The bonuses are pathetic, even during good years. No profit sharing. No raises- you pretty much have to find a job elsewhere before they start to offer you more. Don't get me wrong money is spent but its mainly spent on celebrity relationships and the CEO's cars.

Advice to Management

-Learn to proactively take care of your employees. Don't wait until they have found a new job before you start offering $ and promotions. At that point its too late. You will lose every capable 'A Player' employee if you can't offer to them what other companies will, then you will just get stuck with a bunch of pigs in the mud. A simple 'Thank you' can go a long way.
    -Learn how to say 'NO' to Noel, the ship will sink if you don't! Loyalty only makes sense if the person you are loyal to is taking your best interest into consideration, not their own car collection.
    -If you are trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice, coming out with dozens of headphones every year is not a scalable solution to your loss in revenue.
    -Start taking HR violations seriously, people just run around doing whatever they want and never seem to get punished.
    -Stop making fake reviews on Glassdoor and having all of HR click like on them so they trend at the top, talented people will come aboard and then just leave.
    -Learn how to work together, instead of constantly tossing each other under the bus. You will never make any positive progress with that mentality. Its a workplace not a political race, don't fire people because they question your reasoning fire them because they suck at their job.
    -Get organized, look at how other companies handle CES, they are prepared months before hand rather than scrambling around like bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.
    -Finally go find a new Job, watching a ship sink from the shore is much better than scrambling for a life raft.

"I survived the Monster."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Monster Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and a good place to get your feet wet. There were also some benefits with employee discount and non-fixed hours. As long as you did 8 hrs it didnt matter what time you came in.

Cons

Management was haphazard from the top down. Noel either needs to retire or replace all the yes men that have taken over his upper management team. Also there is no planning or forethought. Everything is reactionary. Finally its dog eat dog with no one having your back and HR is there in name only.

Advice to Management

Look within yourself and see if your actions are actually good for the company and not just for yourself. Otherwise you should do everyone a favor and quit.