Monster Inc - Great learning experience, stepping stone | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Monster Inc

"Great learning experience, stepping stone"

Former Employee - Senior Staff in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Monster Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honed the skills necessary to navigate and manage relationships with very strong-minded, adversarial, aggressive colleagues.
The company's culture (inadvertently) fosters tight-knit, supportive groups within individual departments; many of my closest, meaningful friendships are with people I met while with the company.
Great legacy brand, looks good on a resume.

Cons

Sales & Marketing vs. Operations - classic corporate power struggle, magnified to the extreme here.
Poor communication about company goals and initiatives from senior and executive management.
No profit/loss accountability to a board of directors or any shareholders as the CEO is the sole owner.

Advice to Management

Introduce at least some transparency internally around company initiatives and goals to keep line employees and lower & middle management engaged.

Other Employee Reviews for Monster Inc

1. "Monster is not THAT scary!"

Current Employee - Hard Working Individual in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Hard Working Individual in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Monster Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’m a current employee at Monster who has been compelled to write due to all the negative comments on Glassdoor regarding Monster. I’ve thought a lot about this company and what it would take to change it. But let’s face it. Noel Lee owns it and runs it. We can try to influence him but we can’t change him. That said, he does respond to certain personalities and not all of them are “yes” men. Those who are honest, direct, and unafraid will be heard. He won’t always agree and you must be ready to accept his decision and move on. On the flip side, Noel should be more open to listening to the employees who have been hired for their expertise in their field and he can come across as a bully at times when he resorts to personal attacks that are simply not necessary or professional. It takes a certain personality to make it successfully at Monster. It’s not for everyone.

I’ve seen complaints about work/life balance and it can be an issue if you let it. But you can set boundaries and stick to them. You just need to have the courage to do so. In my opinion, for many of the employees (but not all), this is their biggest job ever and it shows in inexperience and immaturity. They are aghast at being called on the carpet for error and re-dos. Frankly, if Noel or a manager asks for something and you do half of the request, it is not acceptable nor would it be anywhere else. Many employees tend to proceed without asking questions or getting clarification before starting on a critical project. Accountability is one of our biggest issues and unfortunately, lack of accountability breeds lack of trust.

No, the money isn’t great and there’s a lot of work to get done so hours can be long at times. But there are some real positives around here, too. Passionate people, great products, flexibility, some fun activities once in awhile. Sure, it can be better. But I don't think the negative comments blaming HR are warranted. They aren’t supposed to be the cheerleaders. I think their hands are tied and often can’t be the employee advocate they would prefer to be. But what do you want them to do? Save your butt if you aren’t performing? That’s not going to happen anywhere! And look around – they get pulled in fill in the gaps in marketing or administration – and that’s not easy! So coming down on HR is just another blame game.

And as far as Noel buying expensive cars – come on! It’s his money! He can spend it any way he chooses. Personally, I only hope it’s not at the expense of jobs, raises or bonuses.

Monster has been through tough times in the past and has rebounded. I believe it has staying power but will experience rough patches like any other company in this or other industries. If you are cut out to weather the storm, it’s a decent place to work. If you get seasick, get off the ship.

Cons

Periodic long hours or weekends, inexperienced staff, mediocre pay, too many projects spread the staff too thin, privately held company - if it were public, there would be more accountability, one owner who can be a bully

Advice to Management

Focus on the high profit products, cut those that don't make money and do the remaining ones really well! Appreciate your employees - manage through positive reinforcement, not intimidation or scare tactics. Treat the employees as people, not things. Be more transparent in communication with employees. They see through the smoke anyway. Talk to each other - silos don't work!! Push back HARD on Noel Lee and run the company - don't let him run you.

"Job Seekers dont jump on the sinking ship"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Monster Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No education requirements. Many workers only have a high school education or overseas equivalent and it was never a problem. I also had no experience in the CE industry. I even had termination from my old job and was welcomed in to my dismay.

Cons

No raises whatsoever, every year the benefits shrink, healthcare gets re-negotiated and everyone applauds them for lowering costs, but no one sees that the employee pays more. Each year my rent goes up but my pay at monster goes techically goes down. We raise the price of cables internationally and pay more each year to monster suppliers, but the employees get nothing. There are no merit raises, annual reviews, or HR department. Really there is no HR ever in their office. They pretend to run marketing or are "working from home". The few times Ive contacted HR it was like a big burden for them to do work. For all of you new hires, make sure you negotiate your salary very high, because thats all youll get.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to listen to its employees and benchmark themselves with other CE companies. Create a HR department and raise the morale of the workers who make monster great. I worked in Finance and I saw all of the salaries go up and up of all the EC members. Some got raises over 400% in the last 5 years. My advice to hire A-players and do what you can to make them happy. Do not be afraid to hire people smarter than you. Yea they may take your job one day, but thats the way the world works. All of the upper management are dictators who bark orders and are so scared of the CEO they become "YES" managers to everything the CEO says. Also not a single person in the company can deal with the senior management of the sales team. Leaders need to engage their workers and inspire them, be role models. Seeing the Senior Sales VP's at Monster show me all of the things I never want to be in a leader. If you have leaders that everyone likes, they will enjoy their jobs more and take a sense of pride working for Monster.