Monster Worldwide - Good people, but a sinking ship? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Monster Worldwide

"Good people, but a sinking ship?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with worked hard and cared about their job, the customer and the companies success. There were some who took advantage of slow times. But overall the people were very good and they cared about their customers

Cons

The executive management team provides little leadership. There is only the occasional email update from the CEO and a rare company wide meeting. The company stock is flailing and there are a lot of questions about the future

Advice to Management

Concentrate on fixing the issues, not hiring more sales reps

Other Employee Reviews for Monster Worldwide

"The brand, at this point, seems like such an amazing Freudian slip"

Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - User Experience Lead in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the point I joined Monster there were huge challenges ahead of us, but ones that could be properly targeted, managed and successfully worked on for a stronger brand, a healthier organization and a more profitable, happy company. The team of professionals I worked with from a certain level downward were truly incredible, bright and capable individual talents that could effectively work together as a collaborative team to contribute to the vision, missions and goals of the organization while also remaining professional, respectful, passionate and fun. We had a decent set up for the environment going in and the brand itself was still incredibly strong despite a general long-term paralysis in true, higher-level business-led thinking and innovation within the context of the online recruiting industry.

Cons

Very shortly after I rejoined Monster back in 2007 the company went through an internal management coup and a brand new breed of more aggressive director-level management was put in place to drive a new subtle shift in the brand. Instead of immediately laying off the truly talented team they had in place before the coup to help start afresh, the strategy seemed to be one establishing an environment of intimidation and discomfort that would encourage people to leave on their own accord. I would assume the only reason an organization would turn to these nearly-unethical and quite despicable tactics was to avoid paying severance to the artifactual human remnants still associated with the previous management's brand.

The new administration really captured the essence of what this new, improved Monster was all about. By the time I left Monster I couldn't understand why anyone would want to work in such a politically tumultuous environment. Management oftentimes used rumors to promote turmoil and confusion within various teams. Project work in general crept along at an extremely slow pace and quite frequently received such a beating from the 'too many chefs' insecurity involved with so many of their processes. Any sense of excitement, innovation or creativity was almost immediately squashed or 'trumped' as part of the over-extreme micromanagement encouraged by the organization. And Monster only seemed to reward the brazen and cut-throat — nurturing a singular personality type that was more about animal dominance and power than any sense of doing what might be good for people trying to find jobs or those trying to find talent in the marketplace.

Everyday felt like you were actually meeting with a giant monster, trying to tame it, or at least dodge the constant assault of incompetence.

Advice to Management

Just give up. There's just too much competition at this point and you've only weakened the perception of the Monster brand over the course of the last decade by focusing more on internal political games than innovation, fun and hard work. I'd say take some management courses, but I think you would first need to learn simple human dignity and respect, both for yourselves as upper management and for your employees. I guess its a little ironic that an online recruitment company that supposedly helps others find the right job and improve their careers would be so utterly horrible to work for.

"Glad its over"

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, excellent benefits, great co-workers who want to contribute

Cons

Too many managers were brought down from Maynard and infected the new office with politics. No one from Maynard respected the opinions of the SC workers. There is no consistency with discipline, promotion or awards. Two rounds of layoffs in one year, followed by a new hire training class three days later in both cases.

Advice to Management

Stop charging twice as much for half the product. Bring back seeker support. Seekers may not pay the bills, but the people who are paying the bills are paying for seekers. Stop listening to upper and middle management and start listening to the people in the trenches who actually talk to your customers on a daily basis!