Monster Worldwide - "I'm not going to search a resume to hire someone, I'm just going to hire someone I know " - Sal Iannuzzi | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Monster Worldwide

""I'm not going to search a resume to hire someone, I'm just going to hire someone I know " - Sal Iannuzzi"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA

Pros

Occasionally fed us free food. Willing to change your schedule to help accommodate life. Cared about the well being of their employees at that moment.

Cons

Raises where horrible no matter how well you preformed. To get anything done including your own job you have to jump through so many hoops, approvals, cross checks, different software screen, ect... just to get something very simple accomplished. Backend software is a joke, if anyone saw how complicated and mismatched the software to run the company was, no one would deal with Monster. Moving up in the company only goes so far, unless you've worked with Sal Iannuzzi before, they you get straight promoted to VP of (fill in the blank). When Sal said the quote I listed in the review headline I was floored that he just came out and said "I'm not going to use the product we sell to hire someone, I'm just going to network with people i know...." if thats the case, what does that say about the product?

Management does not communicate to one another, the company is not really one company, its 12 different silos all trying to compete with one another acerting their dominance as "the reason the company still stays afloat"

Most of the management is like dealing with high school drama, they do not see the big picture, they do not want to change anything, they just want to coast along their set path and when they do change something, its only to make them look good.

They say "we want to invest in your education and further career advancement" You can move about one level up from where you start and thats about it. After that, doesn't matter what you do, your not going anywhere.

Constantly want you to "prove your worth" to a point of obscurity, like how many hours and how much product do I need to be producing before I'm proving beyond my worth and you realize there is more work than one person can possibly do?

Advice to Management

The product needs to be rebuilt from square one. Not 10,000 different products and services that are pricey and don't work. Take a look at Craigs list, extremely simple product with great rewards, rethink the machine that drives the business. The product and services are too complicated and confusing to the customer. Invest in your employee's future.

Other Employee Reviews for Monster Worldwide

"Honest appraisal: Monster is a great place to work, if you're willing to work hard."

Current Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Going against the grain here to praise management. When others went immediately to layoffs, ours has aggressively pursued cost reduction to retain talent--though in this environment, one never knows what will happen tomorrow. Our competitors are crumbling every day; profits are down, but the company's investments have helped many of us have the best story to tell in our industry. We ARE taking market share away and our offering is better than anyone else's. I see it every day in the trenches; all the message board and blog b.s. is kind of deserved--we were really tough to work with for a number of years--but it's completely wrong and doesn't match the reality now. Those doing business with us now know that we are a changed and improved Monster. I would recommend Monster to anyone that's lucky enough to get in. Tons have left for greener pastures over the years; most are now out of work or hurting. Lots of opportunity to grow; we still deliver the greatest results in our business.

Cons

It's a high threshold for pain organization. Your managers will work 70+ hours/week and if they don't expect the same hours out of you, they will expect commitment and performance. Benefits are okay, but could use being overhauled...though to Monster's credit, they have not reduced their contributions or raised anyone's rates for years.

Advice to Management

Continue to be strategic in the acquisitions. Trovix and the relaunched rocked. The main threat is not CB, it's LinkedIn--but despite the hype, they've started to weaken recently, so now is the time to thrust harder into their market share and make them hurt. Buy or put HJ out of business; pick up or pilfer their newspaper partners. If you have to swing the axe through sales, drop it and use a scalpel instead. Don't lose your performers right now. Sales management is solid, don't lose them. Beware the competition beating us on contextual search; there are others out there. Buy the business from CB if you have to, they're limping; we can seriously hurt them right now if we set our minds to it. Freeze all reqs; we can survive as is through 2010.

"the mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Maynard, MA

Pros

Monster.com is a fast-paced environment and can be fun on the technology side. All Microsoft technology, so prepare to click next-next-ok often.

Cons

Terrible incompetent senior management, it is basically an advertising company.

Advice to Management

Improve communication, listen to technical staff about web issues.