Monster Worldwide - The company was good before they were purchased by Monster. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Monster Worldwide

"The company was good before they were purchased by Monster."

Former Employee - Various in West Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Various in West Los Angeles, CA

Pros

It is a great company if you are a college student needing flexibility. .

Cons

No long term career growth

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. Get back the start-up atmosphere that was present before being purchased by the corporate Monster. This is why they are not thriving as they were in the late 90 and early 2k's. At one time they encouraged ideas and did much for their young bright employees. Now Monster underminds their creativity and simply keeps them to lock up the college market and make upsells to Monster.com.

Other Employee Reviews for Monster Worldwide

"Honest appraisal: Monster is a great place to work, if you're willing to work hard."

Current Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Going against the grain here to praise management. When others went immediately to layoffs, ours has aggressively pursued cost reduction to retain talent--though in this environment, one never knows what will happen tomorrow. Our competitors are crumbling every day; profits are down, but the company's investments have helped many of us have the best story to tell in our industry. We ARE taking market share away and our offering is better than anyone else's. I see it every day in the trenches; all the message board and blog b.s. is kind of deserved--we were really tough to work with for a number of years--but it's completely wrong and doesn't match the reality now. Those doing business with us now know that we are a changed and improved Monster. I would recommend Monster to anyone that's lucky enough to get in. Tons have left for greener pastures over the years; most are now out of work or hurting. Lots of opportunity to grow; we still deliver the greatest results in our business.

Cons

It's a high threshold for pain organization. Your managers will work 70+ hours/week and if they don't expect the same hours out of you, they will expect commitment and performance. Benefits are okay, but could use being overhauled...though to Monster's credit, they have not reduced their contributions or raised anyone's rates for years.

Advice to Management

Continue to be strategic in the acquisitions. Trovix and the relaunched rocked. The main threat is not CB, it's LinkedIn--but despite the hype, they've started to weaken recently, so now is the time to thrust harder into their market share and make them hurt. Buy or put HJ out of business; pick up or pilfer their newspaper partners. If you have to swing the axe through sales, drop it and use a scalpel instead. Don't lose your performers right now. Sales management is solid, don't lose them. Beware the competition beating us on contextual search; there are others out there. Buy the business from CB if you have to, they're limping; we can seriously hurt them right now if we set our minds to it. Freeze all reqs; we can survive as is through 2010.

"the mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Maynard, MA

Pros

Monster.com is a fast-paced environment and can be fun on the technology side. All Microsoft technology, so prepare to click next-next-ok often.

Cons

Terrible incompetent senior management, it is basically an advertising company.

Advice to Management

Improve communication, listen to technical staff about web issues.