Montage Hotels & Resorts - Don't do it if you have self respect - unless you desperately need money | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Montage Hotels & Resorts

"Don't do it if you have self respect - unless you desperately need money"

Current Employee - Guest Services in Laguna Beach, CA
Current Employee - Guest Services in Laguna Beach, CA

I have been working at Montage Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice training program
SOME managers will go above and beyond for you and will work with you

Cons

Guests will demand the moon and even if its something inappropriate or not achievable, theres something going on with the management that believes we should/could.

Terrible middle management - never seen the lack of care for their own associates at this level. Sure you can befriend one manager who will help you but unless you do that or push to HR - they really don't seem to help you. Emails just shovel on from one person to the next passing off work. Don't call out sick or they'll guilt you like crazy or call you unprofessional - even if you have a doctors note.
Some situations in which managers have to be called in for, they made the situation worse, making A- you seem like you don't know what your doing because they completely override what you said or did, and B- they themselves look like they are not aware of the situation or know what they're doing. And yet as I mentioned theres some weird expectation of you to move mountains for them, when you're not given the properly tools or authority to accomplish these tasks.

Some of these managers also have really sketchy behavioral issue.

Worst part of all which is why I give it a one star - Attitude and Morale. Morale is so low, I've never in my professional life seen a group of people so miserable before. Even the managers complain to you about their colleagues or YOURS! I had the pleasure of over hearing two of my managers talk bad about me. That's a booster- Makes me want to work harder.

All in all - it will seem nice at first but the stink will settle will and you will very quickly see what's going on here. Just avoid it unless you need a job to pay bills as I needed to. They say their culture is very important but the bad apples have ruined it all.

Advice to Management

Middle management is a mess. There is never enough coverage at the FD. Hire more people who WANT to be there and get rid of toxic employees. You keep them because you have no choice but what you don't see is that they are the reason why you have such a high turn!

Other Employee Reviews for Montage Hotels & Resorts

1. "Gain a lot of experience in hospitality, but you'll work hard for it."

Former Employee - Concierge in Laguna Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Concierge in Laguna Beach, CA

I worked at Montage Hotels & Resorts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful location, most of the staff is friendly, you'll have great stories to tell friends and families for years to come, really good experience working in a luxury hotel environment (front of the house positions), has helped me on my resume.

Cons

Guests are never perfect, some can be downright ridiculous, some managers are horrendous, rules are very strict (dress code, etc.), very long work days and weeks in the summer, not the best pay in the area.

"Not always Pleasant...The spa is one of the worst department I found to work for..."

Former Employee - SPA Supervisor/Stewarding Supervisor in Laguna Beach, CA
    Former Employee - SPA Supervisor/Stewarding Supervisor in Laguna Beach, CA

I worked at Montage Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Parking, Meals and sometimes insurance...I was there for three years in Management....Working in the Stewarding department was one of the best ......

Cons

H.R. is the worst....High Management I mean upstairs treat you like kids...the test they do every single year...I mean no one cares about the palm trees being called Desi and Lucy...no one ask those questions....No raises and if so there like five cents or ten cents a year if any.....Warnings over the smallest thing...not willing to listen to the staff....

Advice to Management

What is there to say it's not like they take it to heart....as long as people apply and guest come they don't really care....