Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland) - MCPS the best example of patronage ever | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland)

"MCPS the best example of patronage ever"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful place for people who need job security. You can work there for 30 years without having to go through a single evaluation.

Cons

The is too much patronage and the decision making is horrible. You may wonder how the rank so high. Too much money is being used to teach student to the test.

Other Employee Reviews for Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland)

"Used to be great to its employees"

Current Employee - Teacher in Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher in Potomac, MD

Pros

--Great colleagues
    --Ability to be a part of a large, powerful district

Cons

--Benefits are constantly being whittled away
    --Being asked to do more and more above and beyond our classroom duties without compensation or benefit
    --No longer being competitive with surrounding districts

Advice to Management

--remember why we were once the best--your teachers--treat them fairly

2. "My experience as a counselor allowed me to work with students with varying difficulties-whether learning or emotional."

Former Employee - Counselor in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Counselor in Rockville, MD

I worked at Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Montgomery County Schools,for me personally,as a counselor,allowed me through funding to have the appropriate materials for all children.This included materials I would use to teach in every classroom-grades-K-5.It also afforded me with to use puppets,books,kits for use in group activities.I also had enough money for "Red Ribbon Week"-a ten day period in October that emphasizes the need to stay drug free. We celebrated this week as a school with pledges from each classroom.At ll the schools I worked at, there was a program called"Character Counts". At the last school I worked at, we had a pillar for every month.We had-Caring,Honesty,Responsibility,Citizenship,Respect,and Kindness This was a
    huge focus of our curriculum.Every month,I would read a story about whatever character we would be working on that month.There would always be an element of reading and writing in the paper that each child needed to fill out about themselves.They were displayed in the classroom for the month.Every time I saw a student in the hall,on the playground,in the
    cafeteria.,and they would express that character they would be rewarded.

Cons

I would have to say that as a counselor the downside had to be how the principal let you do your job.Some principals were wonderful and knew that you were the person who knew how to handle the emotional needs of the children.

Advice to Management

The secretaries and principals should NEVER make you teacher in charge when they are out of the building.This puts you in the role of being a disciplinarian.