Morgan Stanley - A solid learning opportunity and great colleagues | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

"A solid learning opportunity and great colleagues"

Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Morgan Stanley as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked my internship because I learned a lot. My internship had a structured part that was organized by the Private Wealth Management (PWM) department in MS Singapore and an unstructured part that arose from my responsibilities within my host PWM team.

In the structured part, there were presentations by full-time employees who worked with the PWM department, e.g. on commodities trading and structured products. Interns also worked on group projects and presentations. Through these assignments we got to learn the ropes of formulating, analyzing and defending investment ideas.

In the unstructured part, I got a good sense of what it meant to be part of a PWM team - fielding requests for research data, helping the analyst and CSAs with administrative tasks and observing the trades executed by the ED and VP of the team.

While the structured part was what I expected from a summer internship, the unstructured part was where I felt I grew the most. My ability to really be a part of the team was limited because I was not authorized to work on trades, but the team I was part of trusted me and involved me in their day-to-day work as much as they could. Through the unstructured part, my colleagues in the team helped me get a good sense of what it felt to be a full-time employee more than the structured part.

Cons

This is not a 'con' per se, but I'll say it anyway: as an intern you are not guaranteed the benefit of being part of a team that shows you what daily life in PWM is like. You have to show the team that it is worth their while to get you involved. You can't do any trades as an intern unless you already have a license, but you still have to carry your own weight (and then some).

You also will not learn anything if you expect the full-time employees to come to you. One of the most important and useful pieces of advice the ED gave me on my team was the assignment of introducing myself to every single employee in the PWM department. It was hard to do at first, but I think it helped me get over my anxiety of engaging someone who looks (and probably is) very busy. It helped them know who I was in the first place, and it helped them take the first step towards caring about whether I failed or succeeded.

Be prepared to put in the hours. By the first week I was in the office every morning by 0700 so that I could get a sense of the US and Europe market developments before my VP came in the morning. When things started picking up I did not leave earlier than 1900. I also worked weekends when projects were due.

Advice to Management

None.

Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley

1. "Bad internship didn't learn anything bad pay"

Former Intern - Business Development Intern
    Former Intern - Business Development Intern

I worked at Morgan Stanley as an intern

Pros

not many pros, maybe that the name is good... nice office... nice people but most keep to themselves

Cons

no pay, cold called all day, didnt learn anything, stupid internship just did it for the name

"The soul of the technology department has left the building"

Current Employee - Executive Director in City of London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture, fun people! Work life balance

Cons

Horendous salary, no increases for 4 years for staff. Mass austerity measures, poor training and no career development for high performers. 20%+ attrition, more than 30 MDs have left from technology in last 2 years. A very sad place nowadays.

Advice to Management

Find our soul again. Pay people at market.