Morgan Stanley - exciting start for my career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

"exciting start for my career"

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very mature and professional , good platform for a starting career.

Cons

work pressure, need to work overtime.

Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley

"Sweatshop turning the top 10% of Software Engineer Graduates into the bottom 10% of Software Engineers"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glasgow office staff try very hard to keep the office fun.
    Nice gym and nice canteen.

Cons

Where to start.......?
    Hardware is obsolete. PC was under spec'd and 4 years old when I joined. Servers were 10+ years old. Software developers need decent spec'd PC's. Time is money and when your PC can take 30+ seconds to display Outlook due to only having 2Gb of memory (2010!!) and using 4Gb of swap... well....
    Software quality is non-existent
    Only manual testing performed by un-trained over worked team who know little about software they are testing.
    No automated testing to speak of. No unit tests.
    1 manual test cycle per release. Any issues found are brushed over. Most code is not tested.
    Monthly releases done between 11pm and 7am Friday night to Saturday morning. Release dates can change and in 20 months working there I had two holidays cancelled due to changing dates without recompense. (lost hotels, concert tickets). When I complained I got told "perhaps investment banking is not for you"
    Staff totally over stretched. Very bright people are producing terrible software due to lack of continual personal development and absolutely no peer review system.
    Many of the engineers don't understand source control. Code is regularly copied around.
    Most engineers don't understand md5sum's, diff, patch etc.
    No code reviews whatsoever. Literally anything could be put into the code base. Think Superman III and Richard Pryor's half penny scam etc. Simply unacceptable in a place working with so much money.
    Lots of paperwork filling and box ticking - Understandable if the processes we're doing the paperwork for work. Pointless if they don't.
    Regularly people don't know what they are doing or the area they are working in and so lie / make things up so as not to look bad in front of management. Results in countless hours / days wasted each month with people having to double check things as you simply can't trust what anyone outwith your immediate team says.
    Interview process was dreadful. Many applicants had no proper competency testing and their applications were fast tracked because of their previous employment history and not their actual skills.

Advice to Management

None, see cons section.

2. "It was excellent!!"

Former Employee - Associate in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Associate in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best career opportunities and culture

Cons

Especially in India, little difficult to maintain work life balance, because the work profile demands more time and devotion