Morgan Stanley - Electronic trading IT areas are a sweatshop, they will promise you bonuses, but will not deliver. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

"Electronic trading IT areas are a sweatshop, they will promise you bonuses, but will not deliver."

Former Employee - Vice President- ISGT in New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President- ISGT in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture as a company is fairly good, Senior management as a whole is competent and does mostly the right thing. This was the best Investment Bank I have worked for (and I have worked for several). There are a lot of good individuals that work there. Management pushed people way too hard, but was at least not malicious. The business is clean- I never felt pushed to do the wrong thing for clients.

Cons

Extremely long hours (~12 hour days on average), no consideration for personal life. Technology division is now 70% consultants, if you are a full-timer, you will be stuck with a lot of weekend work, as they won't pay
consultants on the weekend. It was just exhausting keeping up, I usually went home because I was spent, rarely did I go home because I felt everything was done. If you are full time, don't expect a bonus in technology. Before leaving, I talked to over 10 people who worked in my area, and the best bonus I heard going back to 2006 was $8000. My jaw was on the floor.

The culture was extremely competitive to "hit the date" on projects, and since bonuses (at least the idea of a bonus) were based on how many projects had your name next to them, teammates would not help each other out. Management has the joke on everyone- no one is getting paid, and it doesn't matter how much you killed yourself the past year!

Its a large company, and it was exhausting to get things done sometimes. Pushing on the right teams to get their work done (when you have no carrot to offer them), following all the procedures to get changes out (You see, we are putting new cover sheets on the TCMs this week, did you get that memo?), etc, just sucked the life right out of me.

Advice to Management

Pay your people, respect their time, and stop spending so much time making yourself look good to your boss that you have no idea what is going on day to day in your group. Do not create a culture of "delivery" when you only have one thing to deliver to your employees- a decent bonus, and fail to do so year after year.

Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley

1. "Overall good."

Pros

benefits are comprehensive and are pretty competative

Cons

none that I can think of

2. "Morgan Stanley had managers that had no concept of how to manage relationships"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top tier analysts

Flexible schedule

Sexy private banker

Cons

Management was clueless about anything going on

Advice to Management

Let advisors advise and stop having so many meetings during the day