Morgan Stanley - Competitive and exciting work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

"Competitive and exciting work environment"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

The work here is very competitive and exciting. The size of the deals that you do here are huge compared to working at a smaller firm. There is opportunity for career advancement if you show initiative but if you seem complacent your work will become stale.

Cons

After about a six month learning curve work may seem redundant. You do have a certain level of autonomy at your function but it might feel like you are living the same day over and over again.
Work can be exciting but stressful. You might be overseeing millions of dollars in transactions every hour and you could lose alot of money by pushing a wrong button or being a few seconds late pushing that button. If you are in a cost unit instead of a business unit your work could become obsolete fairly soon.

Advice to Management

Management does not seem to fully understand the role of the people they are managing. i got the feeling that people just wanted to make sure they were doing the job so no red flags were thrown to whomever the managers reported to.

Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley

1. "Ok for junior to mid-career level"

Current Employee - Associate Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Very friendly environment and people care at a personal level.

Cons

Very long hours. People overworked. Management does appreciate it, but it's not enought

Advice to Management

Not sure if they care

"Great, well-respected place to work."

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Glenview, IL

Pros

My group at Smith Barney proved a great place to get my feet wet in the financial industry and learn all about different types of investments and aspects of building a portfolio. My team was fantastic at giving me on-the-job training and giving me more and more responsibility as I proved myself in each assignment.

Cons

The FA compensation is structured such that, at least for my team, it is in their best interest to provide their wealthier clients with the best service while mostly overlooking their smaller clients.

Advice to Management

Provide Private Wealth Management teams with more structure on how to manage their book and keep up with regular client reviews.