Morningstar - Great company - left due to some slightly bad luck | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

"Great company - left due to some slightly bad luck"

Former Employee - Head of Applications Development in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Head of Applications Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was free for almost the entirety of my time at MStar to propose the best solutions to problems, and then apply those ideals to what could actually be accomplished within business constraints. Great colleagues within our division and across the enterprise. Senior management was always supportive as well. For entry and mid-level staff you won't have problems building a career here - for more senior folks, as always, there has to be a little luck as well, for the right position to be available at the right time. Comp and benefits are more than fair, and the work is as challenging as you make it.

Cons

Can't think of any except to ask potential colleagues during the interview process about their direct management chain. 95% are great to deal with. If those folks are happy, and you're willing to work hard, you will likely be, too.

Advice to Management

Listen to your folks. You do a great job of living your values. When a couple of people stray from that, it stands out in sharp relief. I tried to communicate that, and thought I was heard fairly, but, unfortunately, felt there was no way to be happy and stay. My results may be anomalous (almost by definition), but they are mine...

Other Employee Reviews for Morningstar

1. "My experience was satisfying overall."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexible schedule, very nice facilities, professional and very cordial work environment

Cons

lack of inspiration, compensation sometimes an issue

"Fantastic benefits, nice CEO, but mindbogglingly incompetent and advantageous senior Managements."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great benefits, lovely location, very nice working environment (architecturally).

Cons

It's a very comfortable place to work in financially, but not a great place to grow with. I've worked in several divisions of the company and was amazed to see how the senior managements are clueless of what is going on, extremely disorganized, and are never up-to-date with the ongoings in their own group. It is surprising how many of the managers will put their team members to work throughout the night for several days while they go home as the clock strikes 5pm.

The company pays well, provide great benefits, but at the price of your sanity and personal well-being. I experienced very little growth.

Advice to Management

Keep better track of your senior management's practices, and listen a bit more to the cries of your employees because there are plenty of hard working people that are being taking advantaged of.