Morningstar - Kantoormanager | Glassdoor

"Kantoormanager"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Former Employee - Office Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Geweldig startsalaris, zeer positieve arbeidsomstandigheden en voordelen.

Mooie en moderne kantoorfaciliteiten, extraatjes zoals gratis eten en een open en dynamische omgeving.

Cons

Grote organisatie, moeilijk om vooruit te komen.

Vrij traditioneel wat betreft aanpassen aan nieuwe manieren van zaken doen en innovatie.

Advice to Management

Wees flexibeler door jonge mensen meer verantwoordelijkheid op zich te laten nemen.

Blijf innovatief, ook al is dat niet makkelijk in de financiële industrie.

Er is een groot verschil tussen de officiële en informele bedrijfscultuur. Investeer meer in mensen en verandermanagement.

Other Employee Reviews for Morningstar

"Life as a technologist"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the 5+ years I've worked at Morningstar, I've had the opportunity to work with great people in different tech roles across the company. I've had a lot of fun and experienced many challenges. To be successful at Morningstar, you need to be focused on solving problems (strategy through execution...not just ideas) that deliver value (revenue or cost savings).

It's up to you...If you are comfortable putting yourself in a position to innovate you will be rewarded. As a 30+ year old company, Morningstar cannot rest on it's brand name only. In the last year we have made decisions to simplify and modernize our approach to building applications by providing development teams with a 'paved road' approach that allows each team to leverage tech that is best suited their needs and puts the power of decision back into the hands of developers.

Our tech...The migration from our on-prem data centers to amazon web services is certain to be a challenge, but brings a great deal of opportunity for people looking to work on the latest technology. People are willing to help each other and if you present a business case for change that drives value (revenue or cost savings) you are almost always rewarded. We have multiple products lines that rely on various technologies, there can be challenges getting synced across teams, but also give you the opportunity to work on the tech of you choice (and change the tech you work on regularly…if that’s what you want).

Leadership will listen....Provided you are engaged/willing to tackle an issue. Staring with the CTO, each head of technology has an open door policy. If you are interested in contributing immediately and are willing to reach out and get involved with solving problems, this is a great place to work. If you're looking for someone to guess and cater to your needs, you're going to have a tough time.

A few other notes...
    * heavy emphasis on internal promotion, people are hired from the outside, but there is a generous amount of growth internally
    * work/life balance is as good as it gets
    * extremely respectful work environment -- in a world where headlines in tech revolve around the need for change, Morningstar should be looked to as the gold standard for the progressive, respectful workplace
    * employees extremely willing to help one another
    * it goes without saying but, unlimited PTO is great as is the 6-week paid sabbatical every 4-years

Cons

Change part 1...There's no way around it, from the end of 2015 through early 2017, change has been constant and rough. Different direction from multiple leaders in the business have been difficult to consume and has caused stress and confusion amongst engineers. Are we working on the right thing? What's our priority today? As a technologist, you really need to be committed to working through issues and understanding the needs of the business.

Change part 2...The entire technology leadership team has turned over since the end of 2015. The 1st half of 2016 was especially rough when there wasn't clear leadership/vision across the tech org. With the appointment of the new CTO in late 2016, things have stabilized significantly and we have a clear direction with an increased alignment with product leadership.

Change part 3...We still continue to lose very talented technologists. The tech market is very strong and we have lost several key people to other opportunities. On the upside, for those who stay, there is an opportunity for promotion and the people who have left typically do so for VP or C-level roles.

Compensation...We have work to do on our compensation program. To be rewarded, you need to produce, then ask to be rewarded...in most cases ask multiple times. There is the sense that you need to go out and get an offer in order to prove your market value.

Advice to Management

*Understand there has been enough change...let there be time for implementation.

*Focus on investing in your key initiatives, while budgeting for innovation.

*Proactively update compensation metrics for technologists, understand true market value. A lot of companies have progressive cultures, work/life balance initiatives, unlimited PTO. This can no longer replace base compensation.

Morningstar Response

Jul 16, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thank you for your balanced and thoughtful review. I sincerely appreciate the time and energy you put into providing this feedback. It's hugely useful to me and to readers interested in finding out... More

"good will leadership, but that's not enough"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IT leader lack of performance

Cons

I believe the current cto has good will, however, lack of technical ability to lead.

Advice to Management

With last term of IT leadership is gone, many good efforts has stopped. The current leader has good heart, but it has showed lack of technical ability. The leadership shows lack of vision, not able to communicate, unable to make good judgement because of this. Whatever is being done can be done without the current leadership. A person good at handing conflict should not be named to lead the technology department.

Morningstar Response

Jul 10, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your acknowledgement of my good will. Assuming good will is hugely important in a technology organization of our size, as is technical ability. I'm not... More