Morse - Good to get your foot in the door, but not much else. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Morse

"Good to get your foot in the door, but not much else."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in City of London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in City of London, England (UK)

Pros

Exposure to some of the main financial companies in the city. Average to good benefits package, health care reasonable employee pension plus the other standard benefits.

Cons

As an outsourced engineer you are seen as something that can earn Morse money. There is no defined career progression. Training courses are very hard to come by, and you will most likely just get a book and and an exam voucher. There is no structure to your career plan as they do not have one. If you are lucky the company you are outsourced to may provide training to you as part of their department.
They pay below the market rate, so you will find permanent staff or contractors earning alot more than you, even though you will be equally skilled/competent in your job, or maybe be better. However, Morse will charge the Business a lot more than what you are getting, in some cases 30-40% more.

Advice to Management

Do not take your staff for granted; try your best to utilize their full potential. Keep them up to speed with technology and train them, without restrictive conditions. Foster an environment of acquiring knowledge to help their roles and reward accordingly. Take their career development seriously.

Other Employee Reviews for Morse

1. "a means to an end"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

if you are a systems engineer from a non financial background Morse is one the the best ways to get yourself through the door and into an investment bank. all the large banks are reluctant to hire people from outside their closed circle and if you want a big name on your cv, this is the way to go. the basic pay is pretty low but that can get boosted significantly by overtime and it was actually a pretty good wage if you were willing to put the hours in.

Cons

prepare yourself to have almost no control over where you might be placed and what you will be asked to do. it really is a lottery and you could end up at citigroup in lewisham moving data between disks for months or you could end up at dresdner in the windows team. one thing to know is that its highly unlikely that you will be doing any serious engineering. it will be administration/operational work in a highly regulated controlled environment.
    for their part, Morse will feed you stories of all the wonderful opportunities they have but my experience was miles from what they were telling me. i was lucky in my placement and i worked in a good team but i heard some horror stories from the other morse guys about some of their previous placements. my best advice to anyone is to do it for a short spell to get the name of a bank on your cv, and then get out.
    if you are doing well on a particular site and the client likes you, you will almost certainly not get moved, no matter how much you beg and plead them to. they will not risk moving someone that the client is happy with and they will not risk collecting your day rate from the client. short of threatening to resign, you will be stuck on a site for at least a year to 18 months. i heard of guys at the same site for 4 years.
    i did 12 months there and quit, (ofcourse my morse manager was not in the office to accept my resignation), and i decided to go contracting for myself. my roles since have still been dull but its good that my placements are in my hands and i can say no to jobs if i feel like it. all in all a thorughly worthwhile experience for me but morse is just a means to an end.

Advice to Management

listen a little bit to what the engineers want. they earn the money on site for you, so treat them like proffesionals and not like bonded labourers. i met a few really talented people but nearly everyone i spoke to complained that their careers were not going how they would like. the problem for morse is that the really good engineers will leave and morse will be left with a bunch of average engineers. they will still earn good money from those engineers but you won't grow as a company and it won't enhance your reputation.

2. "enter with open eyes, work toward a goal and take from it what you will"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

Pros

I've been lucky enough to see a range of companies and ways of working with a variety of clients in the banking sector, experience I would have been lucky to have gained solely as an individual.

One of very few consulting companies with a good foothold in the banking I.T. sector;
    a great opportunity to gain invaluable experience and contacts in that field.
    a good starting point for those seeking a permanent role with such an institution without having had previous experience in banking.

Cons

not the best salary but a reasonable contributary pension and healthcare included - I'm not going hungry but have earned a lot more previously
    As with all companies there are good and bad ones - with Morse you run the risk of bad placements along with the good and it's not always easy to be moved on. Having said that there are some great placements

Advice to Management

More regular, structured meetings with individuals' managers.
    Updated training available at the online training portal.
    Ability to rotate between clients and roles more readily, obviously within reason.