Motherhood Maternity - Would never work or shop there again | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Motherhood Maternity

"Would never work or shop there again"

Former Employee - Where Every Employee IS A Manager in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Where Every Employee IS A Manager in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Fairly generous employee discount (if you can find clothing that will fit you properly when not pregnant - but they expect you to wear it anyway)
Hour cap for managers (42 a week) except in "crisis situations" - which turned out to be always

Cons

My district manager was catty and would blatantly talk about employees to those in other stores. She would also make a point of embarassing you by name during district and regional conference calls if even one piece of your business was not up to minimum standards.
Somewhat unrealistic transaction standards - each customer HAD to leave with at least one four piece outfit to be considered acceptable - my store was in a very low-income college town, and the tee shirts alone were $25-$30 each! I got to know many customers by name and many of them could only afford one of their overpriced pairs of jeans and if they were lucky two shirts their ENTIRE pregnancy. Yet my store was constantly compared against another store in our district over 70 miles away in a VERY high-class shopping center and high-income clientele area.
Expect to work alone all day, every day. Want lunch? Hope you brought it with you even though they say you get an hour lunch break.
Every single associate has keys to the store and works alone..."managers" are vaguely by title only. Good luck if you need to discipline an employee!
All of my peers in my district were whiny and condescending - training was provided in the form of one weekend in which you have to learn EVERYTHING and then you're on your own... you can't get another store manager to come help if you have questions, the next store is 50+ miles away and every store looks completely different.
Company is a milion years behind in technology, in everything from credit card machines to communication. All communication is through a voicemail system with NOTHING to alert you that you have a new message! There is NO email system at all.

Advice to Management

Implement some BASIC current technology in your stores. Provide better training for managers or at least give them someone to reach out to if they have questions! Recognize that not every store is going to be laid out the same way - my store was 10' wide and we could never make the floor set look the way you wanted it (physically impossible) yet you'll still be chastised for it. Hire managers that have MANAGEMENT experience, not just because they look like fashion plates.

Other Employee Reviews for Motherhood Maternity

"Good company, not enough payroll"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hicksville, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hicksville, NY

Pros

Happy environment
    Your there to wardrobe your clients
    Good benefits

Cons

High level management never there to motivate or congratulate
    The company lacks the ability to develop employees
    Not a lot of payroll hours, lots of shifts by yourself

Advice to Management

No one should work by themselves. Spend less money on shipping marketing we never use and spend some money on a Christmas bonus.

2. "OK"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Motherhood Maternity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great clients . Love the small box store environment.
    Low turnover rate. The staff and the clients make it a great place to work.

Cons

Not enough hours for the amount of work that needs to be done. Store manager is the only full time employee in most stores.
    There is zero room for advancement. The company 100% does not promote any managers beyond store manager.

Advice to Management

Less micro managing needed. Trust your managers.
    The need to draw a floor plan every month and submit it to the district manager is ridiculous. With today's technology figure out another way. Big waste of time.