Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans - Micromanagement : Follow their commands! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

"Micromanagement : Follow their commands!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has good health insurance & pension benefits.

Cons

MICROMANAGEMENT..Managers personally makes every decision, take a lead role in the performance of every significant task . In extreme cases, dictate every small step the workers take. They are control freak. They hovers over staff who are trying to get their work done and rarely, if ever, seriously considers their ideas and opinions. The only "original" thinking the managers recognizes is his or her own.They take essential management practices to extremes and interferes with employees' ability to do their jobs properly, while creating undue stress for them. In addition to creating stress and discontent among employees, they inhibits employee development. No effort is made to challenge employees with learning situations. They delegates nothing of consequence, thus depriving employees of opportunity for growth. Their micromanagement style creates "yes men" or "yes women," as employees discover it's easiest and safest to go along with the manager.

“Bad Management Behavior”, “Lack of Recognition”, “Lack of Respect” and “Management not allowing the employees to make decisions

FAVORITISM..In my department, our micromanagers does not want to see non favorite employees communicate with co-workers. If we talk to our co-workers, one of the manager in my department will personally approach the employees & ask if they are on break or ask if we are talking about work etc.. However, they have at least 4 employees in my department who constantly talking (excessively loud) about non business related issues all day long but the micromanagers does not say anything to them.

MORALITY. They talked to employees like a pre-school kid, like everyone does not know anything. Employees needs to follow every order and not allowed to decide based on their own determination.

PROMOTION. Based on the company policy, all job openings under a director position should be posted so everyone has an opportunity to apply for the position. In our department, we used to have an opening for a managerial position, however nobody had any knowledge about it until they announced the promotion of 2 favorite employees. They did not give any opportunity to other employees who are obviously beyond qualified for the position based on experience, managerial skills & education.They would prefer an underdog with lack of expertise and education who would say "YES" & will be under control all the time.

Work & Life Balance : They set up specific months when employees are NOT allowed to take vacations & time off. If you have a little children, it's tough to survive in this company as we are not allowed to be a minute late. A minute late will be counted against an employee and we are only allowed to be late three times in a year.

The BOSS. Drives employees, depends on authority, inspire fear, places blame, uses people, take credit, commands, intimidate, no compassion

Advice to Management

Be a Leader ..Learn how to be a coach, on goodwill, generates enthusiasm. says "WE" not "I", fixes the breakdown, show how it is done, develops people, gives credit, ask.... says "Lets go"..

Other Employee Reviews for Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

"Micro Management: What Not To Do"

Current Employee - Auditor in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Studio City, CA

Pros

They have a good pension plan and health plan; however, that is slowly diminishing as health care costs are rising.

Cons

While like in any company, each department is different from the other. I could only speak for the auditing department. The auditing department has been the laughing stock of the entire company because of the high number of turnovers over the past 3-4 years. The so-called managers are more like Nazi SS soldiers micro-managing every area of your job. While my time there was a learning process, it definately was not a fun one. As an auditor, you are constantly on the hot seat from outside employers who do not want to cooperate with you and don't want you to see their records, to the inside "bosses" who constantly monitor you and smother you with administrative useless reports and time tracking programs. To make things worse, the manager of the department does not know how to audit records with the current Solomon program. He relies on the auditors to support his lack of knowledge on performing his job.

Advice to Management

The managers should stop micro-managing their employees given that their jobs are already difficult to begin with. At least have the manager do an audit by himself so that he can see how difficult auditing really is. Instead of pushing more work on the auditors, they should reward them for the hard work that they do. And by the way, cut some of your salary raises and bonuses and give it to those who really do the job. At least bring the salary to the market level in that field.

2. "Training is scattered"

Former Contractor - Medical Claims Processor in Studio City, CA
    Former Contractor - Medical Claims Processor in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans as a contractor

Pros

I was hired in as a temp to perm. I loved the people working there and the atmosphere. Beginning the job was hectic as they were not ready to train properly having special projects ongoing and the new hires were doing various things other than training. When it did eventually get going 2 weeks later only a few of us were in the class and it was pretty fast paced and also we were put hands on jumping in on processing claims with a new system as well as having computer issues along the way as they were making a big change in the systems. New hires came in a few weeks later and the training was scattered between them and us and we were thrown in just processing claims without a really definitive training module. The system had many aspects to learn as well as what or how they paid their claims. It took me too long to get up to speed for them and they terminated my contract suddenly. I really enjoyed working there tho it was a bit scattered and the management was great. They definately keep everyone informed of all things going on and it is like a family there. I have to say they really care for their people and the people they cover in the industry. I am just saddened I couldn't catch on faster and better.

Cons

The training module and format is not up to speed for the end results they are expecting.

Advice to Management

put a better training module together prior to having the trainies go live on processing claims. The claims provided to them should be able to be put on a hold until they are reviewed for accuracy.