Motley Fool - Best Place I've Ever Worked | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "There is a great work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Fools are collaborative, fun, creative, caring, and dedicated to our mission of helping the world invest better" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Fool uses one of those open floor plan office lay outs, which means that no one has any personal space or privacy, and the entire office gets LOUD" (in 6 reviews)

• "Too much reliance on contract writers" (in 6 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You hear people all the time who say it's their dream to work at the Motley Fool. Everything you hear about progressive companies -- unlimited PTO, flexible work hours, trust in their employees, great culture, autonomy, great people, etc. -- happens at the Fool. Over the past 7 years, I've worked at 3 other companies before coming to the Fool. I am being honest when I say that the Motley Fool is the best place I have ever worked for, or could even imagine working for. In the DC area, I knew the hip, flexible startup culture with flat management where employees are given free reign was hard to come by. I always thought I would end up in a corporate, soul-sucking govt. job. After looking into the Fool and seeing why they won Glassdoor's "Best Company to Work For" in 2014 and 2015, I knew I was onto something. When I received an offer from Motley, I had 4 other offers on the table, however the choice of Motley over the others was a no-brainer.

I love what I do. I am basically making apps that help people around the world invest better. I mean how much more of an impact could I have? There's no real supervision or micromanagement, the Fool just trusts you. There's no clocking in, or boss ensuring you're being productive. If you need a nap, go take a nap in the nap room. Sometimes I even crack the laptop open at night or during odd hours to voluntarily finish an idea I had earlier in the day. This is how a job should be -- trust the employees, give them freedom and flexibility, and they will do so much more because the *want to work* and believe in your mission. It sounds counterintuitive, especially around DC, but it works and it's how you attract the best and brightest talent.

Cons

The only con I have heard of, and I have not been here long enough to experience it myself, is that the trajectory at the Motley Fool tends to plateau after many years (I'm talking about 7-10 years). The reason people have left is because they felt that their careers have stagnated, despite the perks, freedom, etc., and the wanted to try something different -- i.e. they get the 7-year itch.

Another con is that the hiring process also takes long, and it's hard to get into the Fool. It took 2 months between when I first applied to when I received a phone call for an interview. I had to turn down another offer while waiting for the Fool to get back to me. If you are good at what you do, however, then don't fret. I think it's worth the wait. If you're a developer, make sure you can make a web app.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide an enriching, challenging, autonomous, and lighthearted experience for your employees. The Fool's motto is to "Educate, Amuse, and Enrich". I think this applies to all aspects, including hiring and culture. If you keep cultivating good people and building trust, you'll keep the buoyant culture and having people (like myself) excited and who can't wait to come to work everyday.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Another self-reported "fun" place that oversells its benefits"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual, both in dress and general manner. They also splurge on office chairs.

Cons

The entire company relies only on its marketing, and so marketing is all that matters. Despite our obnoxious, predatory ads that are just barely legal in the ways words and promises are twisted, the managers still tout our company's "Golden Rule" of fairness and transparency.

The offices are located in one of the most expensive cities in the US to live, and yet you aren't paid a wage that allows you to actually live in or near the place we work.

All of this while top execs have multiple homes in DC/NYC and other cities, who are so monumentally wealthy it's immoral.

The Fool uses one of those open floor plan office lay outs, which means that no one has any personal space or privacy, and the entire office gets LOUD.

You're better off paying out of pocket than trying to deal with the insurance plan they offer, also. It's cheap for a reason.

If a company doesn't even invest in the well being of its own employees and customers, then they're obviously only concerned with their bottom line.

Advice to Management

Invest in your MEMBERS. Spend time paying attention to complaints from paying members and the people who talk to them on a daily basis.

Motley Fool Response

Oct 1, 2018 – Human Resources

While we're proud of how we've served all of our stakeholders this year due to the hard work of all of our employees, we are always striving to be better. Thanks, Fool, for your feedback and thank... More

2. "Great culture with lots of opportunity for growth"

Current Contractor - Individual Contributor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Contractor - Individual Contributor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience as a contract contributor has been phenomenal. Plenty of training and support with various opportunities to participate in new projects. Very pay-it-forward culture that rewards "partnership" mentalities.

Cons

Competitive compensation for contributors, but it hasn't increased in a few years.

Advice to Management

Stay Foolish-ly focused on making the world a better place!

Discover more reviews about Motley Fool.