Motley Fool - Best Job I've Ever Had | Glassdoor

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TMF has changed my life in many unexpected ways. In addition to earning a living wage, I have been able to pay off my credit card that lingered from graduate school and am chipping away at my student loan debt. I've learned about and started to invest with the guidance if TMF, and always feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice if need be. I'm consistently surprised by the generosity of the company. I feel grateful every day that this company had changed me for the better- financially and otherwise. The emphasis on health and wellness has led me to incorporate even more healthful measures into my life. I love my colleagues and feel valued and respected at work. Through various programs, the company encourages reading and life long learning. Employees are treated like adults, given freedom with their schedules, and encouraged to determine their own job descriptions based on their skills and preferences. I've never worked anywhere where the morale was so high.

Cons

Sometimes the environment can be disruptive or chaotic. It's important to have areas people can retreat to in order to work quietly/undisturbed. Sometimes there are too many hands in a project and it can get unwieldy.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Motley Fool Response

Oct 24, 2014

We are so honored to read your comments - it is truly special to see a review like this on Glassdoor. Your experience here mirrors what we hope to provide our members - an opportunity to change their ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Motley Fool

1. "Singular vision executed (mostly) well"

Current Contractor - Writer and Analyst
    Current Contractor - Writer and Analyst

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific culture populated with genuinely good human beings. Management prizes tenure and seeks to keep the best for as long as possible.

Cons

Fits of experimentation can prove disruptive over short periods, but that's also the price of working in any high-growth, entrepreneurial environment.

Advice to Management

Yours is an increasingly distributed organization. Be unafraid to use technology to better communicate and collaborate with workers across the globe.

Motley Fool Response

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks very much for your review, and for recognizing our commitment to keeping our high performers (those genuinely good human beings) excited to stay with The Motley Fool. We like the comment about ... More

"Needs to improve overall employee satisfaction and morale"

Former Employee - Professional
    Former Employee - Professional

I worked at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During the honeymoon period (first 2 months of starting the position), everything is wonderful. They bend over backwards to help you, and most of all they talk up how great Motley Fool is to work for, and how fortunate you are for them to have chosen you to be with them. It makes you feel very special to be the "chosen one".

Cons

After about 2 months to a year, you start to realize who you are truly working for. The managers personalities finally reveal themselves and the culture creeps up on you. Unfortunately, it wasn't positive for me. Since the culture is "play as much as you like", and the desks with no cubicle walls to separate you from hundreds of others, you begin to realize how unprofessional this place really is. It was like a huge playground, with very poor management emotional intelligence (speaking of my three direct managers). Absolutely zero privacy, and every single phone call to your spouse, doctor and friend, was overheard by 10's of people, including your strange managers, who then all asked you about what you talked about on the phone with your spouse and doctor! I was horrified each time. When I was working on certain projects and needed a few others to complete their part of the project in order for me to continue on with my portion of the project, those other people were consistently no were to be found. Where were they each time I went look for them? In the game room, or "running late" for work. Sometimes they showed up at 1pm, sometimes at 11am. No one knew. It was especially frustrating for a professional like myself. I could go on about all of the problems with this company, but there isn't enough time and space. They desperately want you to believe it's the best company to work for (and continually tell you that while you work there) but in reality, it was the one of the worst. (I found it disturbing to have been told repeatedly that I'm "...lucky to have been chosen to work at the Motley Fool," etc., etc.)
    I quickly severed my employment with the Mostly Fool when I found an established professional company to work for. I'm still working for the same established professional company to this day. "Professional" makes all the difference.

Advice to Management

Perhaps hire a professional firm to oversee your management staff. You need to foster a professional level atmosphere. Hire not just intellectually competent management staff, but also hire emotionally intelligent individuals too. The "play as much as you want" culture is very disconcerting when you're working there and trying to be a professional. You wouldn't need to continually try and convince employees that it's "the best place to work in the world", if it truly was the best place to work.