Motorola Mobility - Land of missed opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Mobility

"Land of missed opportunities"

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of talented engineers who worked very hard

Cons

Bosses higher up who did not have a vision and kept making decisions that are counter intuitive.

Advice to Management

Believe in what you do rather than changing the story everyday

Other Employee Reviews for Motorola Mobility

1. "Great place to work for family-oriented workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For most part, people are very easy going at least in my department. There is a strong sense of family at Motorola. I've seen people leave and return on multiple occasions because the work environment is very balanced. I think many people stay because it's family friendly with reasonable work hours.

Cons

I think a main problem is that the previous senior leadership was very disorganized so projects would be created and then discarded at a moment's notice. You could spend months on a product and then it would get cancelled at the last minute. I can see why Motorola eventually ended up being sold to Google because they could not be self-sustain with the products they sold on the marketplace.

Pay and benefits are average compared to other companies in the valley. This makes it hard to attract top-talent or keep good employees around for long periods of time.

At least in my department there isn't any room for growth. It's very flat hierarchy with too many managers in the department. Google worked to flatten the layers of bureaucracy but in doing so made it impossible for growth in the company.

2. "Good Company."

Current Employee - Senior Director in Libertyville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Motorola Mobility is in a very interesting consumer space. Fast moving technology. With the Google Acquisition there is a new focus on software and experiences. Look for Motorola to start leading in the Smart phone race.

Cons

Hyper-competitive industry. Inflexible dates due to the need to make key holiday advertising deadlines. Google has decided to move Motorola Mobility from Libertyville to downtown Chicago. The primary reason is to make it easier to attract top software talent.

Advice to Management

Focus. Pick a strategy and execute.