Motorola Mobility - Good company, but morale had been decreasing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Mobility

"Good company, but morale had been decreasing"

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Libertyville, IL
Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Libertyville, IL

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot as a new hire from college
Culture and morale was at the highest when I first started in 2006
Opportunity to travel to many countries to support product launch
Co-workers were cool and fun

Cons

2008 company started to have multiple rounds of lay-offs and morale decreased
Multiple reorganizations within the company every 2 months or so

Other Employee Reviews for Motorola Mobility

"My team at MMI was great, but the company as a whole lost its way years ago."

Former Employee - Performance Optimization Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Performance Optimization Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with great people and had a great manager who set goals but left you alone to achieve them. As an electrical engineer, I worked with very competent, dedicated colleagues. MMI has come up with technically excellent handsets like the X and Droid MAXX, but Apple and Samsung have vastly greater marketing budgets.

Cons

The once- or twice-yearly layoffs since 2007 got to me after a while - they're energy- and morale-sapping. So did the lack of a successful winning strategy on the part of the senior leadership team. I hope that Lenovo can end the endless downsizing, but I doubt that it can and suspect Lenovo will end up just slapping the Motorola brand on made-in-china products.

Advice to Management

I'm afraid it's probably too late to turn the company around, at least in its current form.

2. "Hard to predict the future, but has potential to be an extremely great place to work"

Pros

Depending upon the group and job function, there can be a decent work-life balance. Some are allowed to work remotely, despite the directive from upper management to be in the office all the time, but the rule being bent is highly manager and job function dependent. A lot of good people to work with. Potential to learn a lot if you meet the right people. Downtown office is beautiful. Snack rooms have been stocked regularly and there's a nice game room. Many believe these smaller perks will change after Lenovo comes in.

Cons

Company isn't making money, so there's a lot of uncertainty.
    You have to be your own champion if you want to get promoted.
    Training is group dependent, but you'll also need to be your own champion if you want professional growth. Can be hard work and long hours if the weight of the organization is thrown at you.

Advice to Management

Employees below the glass ceiling (below Director level) rarely ever see upper management mingle with other staff. Spending an hour in an unrecorded session to get in touch would be nicer than in a townhall setting. Many are apprehensive to speak freely when it's viewable to everyone in the org and in front of so many people.