Motorola Solutions - Great work/life balance but Hard to move up and get promoted | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Solutions

"Great work/life balance but Hard to move up and get promoted"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility/work life balance is very good. I had a great team which was the main reason why I was there. It was a fun group. I developed great relationships and the team was very smart and talented. I am frequently impressed by my teams ability to deliver and meet challenging goals. This makes me proud to be apart of that team.

Cons

The promotion criteria isn't the same for everyone. Some people are promoted based on accomplishments. Others are promoted based on potential and no accomplishments. Others are promoted based on tenure. Other's aren't promoted at all. It is well known that you have to leave the company to move up. Also the company is making SO MANY fast and quick changes such as selling divisions, manufacturing facilities, real estate, and massive layoffs every quarter. It can be really scary working their day to day with no feeling of stability.

Advice to Management

Promote everyone using the same measure. Solicit input from your team. Just because they are not at your level or in your position doesn't mean they can't provide business insight. When they offer new ideas, don't just boldly toss it to the wind, as if they don't have a clue. Because believe it or not, they do.

Other Employee Reviews for Motorola Solutions

1. "Great line of products which lead to hands on projects and applying what you learned in school to real world projects."

Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Plantation, FL
    Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Well rounded projects and people, intelligent yet somewhat laid-back working environment, no dress code, flexible working hours (within reason). Potentially long term employment.

Cons

Managers often micro-manage too much, out dated techniques, upper management continues to decrease budgets yet expects more, meetings with upper management are often a waste of time due to skirting around issues rather than addressing them and not being very transparent.

Advice to Management

Eliminate busy work and paper pushing / part tracking for engineers. Innovate more and worry less about what the competition is doing.

2. "Former Employee that left before laid off"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture of teamwork and training for employee development

Cons

Corporatized culture stopped treating people as people and started treating them as resources.

Advice to Management

Get back to caring about people and investing in them as people not resources.