Mozilla - A great, open workplace working on exciting technology. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mozilla

"A great, open workplace working on exciting technology."

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The transparency and public openness of the organization meant that I could share my work with the world in a way possible at very few other places.

Cons

At least right now, the products feel like they're playing catch-up, and the old community love seems to have dwindled.

Advice to Management

Focus on what defines Mozilla: Freedom, Openness, and the community. Build great product based on those, not just comparing yourself to others.

Other Employee Reviews for Mozilla

1. "Full of smart, helpful people"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Mozilla is full of smart folks who are willing to help each other out in a pinch. We all work together, if someone's very busy and there's stuff going on, others will offer to help. It's a *very* good environment for remote workers - 75% of my team is remote, so nobody has the feeling they missed something because they weren't "in the office". The bonuses are indeed real, and the salary itself is competitive.

Cons

The developers choose the technology they work on with very little input from the Systems team, so sometimes we have to manage something that's completely inappropriate to the technology involved. However, that's actually changing in 2012 - already in 2011 there were some changes that developers did not like at first, but appreciate that we can better support them. So we're doing more of that, and hopefully this con will go away.

2. "Mozilla is an amazing place to work where you get to always do the right thing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Mozilla is Mission-based organization and nothing trumps the mission so you know you always get to "do the right thing". It's also a collection of some of the smartest people involved in the development of the Web.

Cons

Mozilla is a non-profit and depends heavily on a volunteer community to be competetive. These are not downsides unless you're unfamiliar with them and unwilling to learn. They do make Mozilla different from pretty much every other Web company though and it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Mozilla leadership should spend more time creating a sense of urgency among employees. The industry is moving fast and Mozilla employees do not always feel the urgency necessary to compete effectively.