Mozilla - Unclear future and chaotic present | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mozilla

"Unclear future and chaotic present"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparency and flexibility. The company is becoming a corporation but it retains a lot of the values of the start-up that it was and the community focus is great. It's a great place if you want to take it easy. Ability to work from home with no questions.

Cons

The company is trying to figure out what he wants to do. There's a change on focus every month and projects that are in the process to be staffed get deprioritized leaving people with no projects until they can figure out what to do next. Middle management doesn't have the experience to lead the organization, a lot of them have been promoted from the community with no real skill set. Senior employees and executives are leaving and the morale of the company is destroyed.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals and focus on a strategy for at least a year before pivoting again. Rise the bar at the Director level and monitor low performers.

Other Employee Reviews for Mozilla

1. "A great, open workplace working on exciting technology."

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The transparency and public openness of the organization meant that I could share my work with the world in a way possible at very few other places.

Cons

At least right now, the products feel like they're playing catch-up, and the old community love seems to have dwindled.

Advice to Management

Focus on what defines Mozilla: Freedom, Openness, and the community. Build great product based on those, not just comparing yourself to others.

2. "Full of smart, helpful people"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Mozilla is full of smart folks who are willing to help each other out in a pinch. We all work together, if someone's very busy and there's stuff going on, others will offer to help. It's a *very* good environment for remote workers - 75% of my team is remote, so nobody has the feeling they missed something because they weren't "in the office". The bonuses are indeed real, and the salary itself is competitive.

Cons

The developers choose the technology they work on with very little input from the Systems team, so sometimes we have to manage something that's completely inappropriate to the technology involved. However, that's actually changing in 2012 - already in 2011 there were some changes that developers did not like at first, but appreciate that we can better support them. So we're doing more of that, and hopefully this con will go away.