Municipality of Anchorage - I've worked for a handful of employers in my life, and this is the only one that's been terrible. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Municipality of Anchorage

"I've worked for a handful of employers in my life, and this is the only one that's been terrible."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Municipality of Anchorage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the area, the benefits are good (as one would expect from a governmental employer). The pay is decent for the work that is expected.

Cons

There is zero employee development/training, there is zero involvement from management (I've never even met the mayor or city manager in the three years I've worked here), the HR department that should be setting the example is abusive and unprofessional with an unheard of turnover rate, and all employees (other than executives) are hourly, even if your federal FLSA status should be exempt. I have heard things were much better a couple years ago under the previous mayor.

Advice to Management

I think you need to understand how turnover affects your budget. Once you understand how much turnover is costing you, I would suggest that you review how morale impacts turnover. Then, I hope you will do more to address the lowest morale I have ever seen in my 52 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Municipality of Anchorage

1. "As far as governments go, a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Municipality of Anchorage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Predictable as far as salary and benefits, good benefits, optional 80 hours over 9 days instead of 10, union contracts

Cons

Union contracts are sometimes annoying to deal with, and often protect the lazy and unmotivated, depending on where you start in the pay scale, you might top out after only 4-5 years; also, the general nature of government is that sometimes things get a little unstable due to property values and tax receipts; also politics play into what is expected of you sometimes. The mayor I worked under liked to grandstand and puff him self up, while mostly ignoring the folks on the ground doing the work

2. "I love my job."

Current Employee - Refuse Equipment Operator in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Refuse Equipment Operator in Anchorage, AK

Pros

The Muni is a great employer because they have an equal opportunity approach, pay well, and go to more than reasonable lengths to train, support and retain employees. In other words, anyone with proper qualifications will have an equal shot at a job, and once hired, the muni will do everything reasonable to keep from letting that person go.

Cons

I suppose you could make an argument that the fairness can work against a motivated, outstanding employee, because I have found that promotions are based almost solely on seniority, regardless of other factors. I've seen much less-motivated individuals promoted over harder working and more dedicated ones just because they started earlier. That's life...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the quality of work and employee's dedication when considering individuals for promotion.