Municipality of Anchorage - I love my job. | Glassdoor

"I love my job."

Current Employee - Refuse Equipment Operator in Anchorage, AK
Current Employee - Refuse Equipment Operator in Anchorage, AK

Pros

The Muni is a great employer because they have an equal opportunity approach, pay well, and go to more than reasonable lengths to train, support and retain employees. In other words, anyone with proper qualifications will have an equal shot at a job, and once hired, the muni will do everything reasonable to keep from letting that person go.

Cons

I suppose you could make an argument that the fairness can work against a motivated, outstanding employee, because I have found that promotions are based almost solely on seniority, regardless of other factors. I've seen much less-motivated individuals promoted over harder working and more dedicated ones just because they started earlier. That's life...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the quality of work and employee's dedication when considering individuals for promotion.

Other Employee Reviews for Municipality of Anchorage

1. "APD non-sworn"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Municipality of Anchorage (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, exciting work dynamics, and local crime awareness.

Cons

Shift work based on seniority, repetitive tasks, hostile clientele (rare), politically influenced management.

Advice to Management

The political era of policing is over. Continuing to kowtow to whomever occupies the mayoral seat rather than the community to which you serve is the folly of many other agencies. Its not a matter of if but when and APD has had its close calls. Currently APD has been receiving good opinions from the general public, don't let this placate you; opinions change.

2. "DBA"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Municipality of Anchorage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MOA has great people to work with.

Cons

MOA has an outdated infrastructure

Advice to Management

spend money on IT