Murphy USA - Can be excited and some days just plain WTF! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Murphy USA

"Can be excited and some days just plain WTF!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Murphy USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Commission, forming relationships with your customers. Meeting new and exciting people all the time. I also want to say I was reading a review I wanted to comment on so I decided I'd get my word out. I started with Murphy 3 years ago as a pt time cashier , within a year I was an assistant then a year later Store Manager. I know the shift duties at night can be accomplished because I've done them and to this day I still do them . Some nights are harder than others due to volume but overall the basics of the shift duties are achievable. Overall its a good job but once you've reached Store Manager position you start to wonder if this where you want to be placed and for how long.

Cons

All of the above is great when you have coverage and low turnover rate. It is hard to keep store staffed. Being penalized for turnover on commission. The mystery shop program needs to be re defined again. The fact that COS is sometimes fun and sometimes its the division managers who hound the DMs and therefore we get the vibe that our company should be called COS not Murphy USA. The stress at times can be overwhelming and time with family shortened.

Advice to Management

We need to have a job fair and training center for assistant managers besides the ASMP. The responsibilities of our jobs limit time for extensive training that our assistants should have since they are fully responsible for our time off. More labor hours and more room to breathe in general.

Other Employee Reviews for Murphy USA

1. "Stay away from Murphy USA in Summerfield, FL"

Former Employee - Cashier in Summerfield, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Summerfield, FL

I worked at Murphy USA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros except the fact that I got to sit in air conditioning rather than work outside. I guess that's a pro.

Cons

Where to begin... First off, you get two days of training and then your off on your own. Literally you are by yourself. There is no supervisor or other co workers... no one! There was way too much to handle for one person. Besides ringing up customers all day you are required to keep stock which is in another area! Therefore, you have to keep walking out and locking doors and unlocking them just to keep stock. The coworkers love drama so don't tell them anything about your personal life. The customers are enough to put up with on their own. You are also required to change the fuel price all the way outside by the road even if you have a line of customers at any given time. Oh and you also have to process all deliveries and answer the phone without any help. You get no lunch breaks or bathrooms breaks because your the only one there. So If you have to go, you better hold it or go really fast.

Advice to Management

Hire more people! At least two people should be on a shift at one time!

2. "Certain people allowed to badger customers"

Former Employee - Cashier in Cherryville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cherryville, NC

I worked at Murphy USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers were the livelyhood of the store

Cons

The number of years you are employed should not be a reason to treat customers wrong

Advice to Management

Customer service should be number one without nepotism!!!