Muscular Dystrophy Association - Growth | Glassdoor

"Growth"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with MDA for over 10 years and am most thankful for the opportunity to have real impact in my role. I am challenged daily to perform at a high level. No day is the same at MDA and the variety keeps things interesting. The families served by MDA are close to the staff and help you connect the dots. I work with an amazingly talented group of dedicated people. I appreciate the creativity and collaboration you find in the offices.

Cons

Certainly cons with any position. In order to provide a high level of services we must achieve our fundraising goals which means personal accountability and hard work.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the services for the families. Strengthen clinic partnerships and maximize dollars spent to provide the highest quality of care possible.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

"If you want to work for a nonprofit - this is not the place for you!"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too many. At first you think it is a wonderful place to work and that you are really helping out a great cause. But then you realize that that is all smoke and mirrors and it really is bad in the longrun.

Cons

Absurdly long hours. You are expected to work a crazy amount of nights and weekends with absolutely NO comp time in exchange.
    You are told that work must be completed at home rather than during the work day.
    You are practically stalking people such as jailbirds, shamrock accounts and walk teams.
    Deceptive methods are used when recruiting jailbirds or calling prospective mobile accounts.
    Unreasonable expectations of monetary goals.
    If you are a smoker, you get all the time out of the office that you want. If you are not - you are expected to be on the phone more than a telemarketer!

Advice to Management

Get out of the 80s and realize that times have changed and that your programs need to as well.
    Understand that while your employees may love the cause - they do have lives outside of work.
    Treat everyone fairly - even if you aren't smoking buddies.

"RUN"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great opportunity to learn and get my feet wet in corporate America; I gained valuable event planning and networking experience and met some wonderful people. I learned a ton about fundraising for non-profits, and I always felt good about helping people with incurable diseases.

Cons

MDA expects you to give up your life for them. As a former program coordinator, I was expected to work twice as many hours (without compensation) as my colleagues simply because I wasn't married and didn't have children to go home to. As a event planner, be prepared to work a lot of nights and weekends. Since it's non-profit, you will always be under-staffed and under-paid, and the technology will always be sub-par. You would think that by default, working for a non-profit would entail working with "good" people, but the managers I encountered at our regional office in Houston were some of the worst people (ethically) that I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Stop preying on young girls who aspire to save the world - give them a reasonable salary and number of hours. Your employees are people, not machines.