Muscular Dystrophy Association - A great organization and a great cause | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

"A great organization and a great cause"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Broomall, PA
Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Broomall, PA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. National MDA staff, including the new CEO, are very attentive to what's going on in the local offices and what changes staff feel need to be made and then they address those issues. It really is nice to know that your voice is being heard and that they are constantly wanting to grow and better themselves as an organization.
2. Our local leadership staff is phenomenal. I've been fortunate to be trained by people with 15 or more years experience with MDA and they could not be more helpful or supportive.
3. Clear expectations and standards--what I was told about the job in advance is exactly what it has been (which, as we all know, is not always the case).
4. My training was effective. You never know in starting a new job if they're going to throw you to the wolves right away or if you're going to sit through a month's worth of boring training videos. I felt that starting with MDA I had a good balance between theoretical training (videos, packets, one-on-one time with my supervisor discussing what I would be doing in the near future) and practical training (observing someone else doing aspects the job, doing things alongside my supervisor, having the opportunity to travel to nearby offices and gain experience from their team as well, etc).

Cons

You do work occasional evening and weekend hours so that won't work for everybody but the good news is those evening/weekend hours are events that are planned in advance. I haven't had any surprise late nights or anything like that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your field staff and continue applying that feedback. I love seeing MDA growing as an organization and I want to continue to see us getting better and better.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

1. "Not what you think it is... RUN!"

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Camp was great and that's about it. I hardly worked with the families because of my position, but when I got to, it was fun.

Cons

I so wish that I did not take this job. It really sucked the life out of me. I was able to get a new job and only had to be at the MDA for 9 months. In that 9 months though they really did a number on my confidence and self-esteem. The hours were horrible. I traveled a lot to do fundraising. One time I I left town on Sunday and didn't get back until 2 a.m. on Friday morning. I was still expected to be in the office at 8 a.m. on Friday... no comp time or flexibility.

The comp-time was secondary, though, to the emotional ups-and-downs that accompanied the MDA. I have never been treated so poorly and made to feel so bad in a professional setting. I would constantly get calls from "Regional" micro-managing down to the minor details of every event. I seriously wouldn't have minded this... if their advice worked!!! I found out that other offices were doing their events differently and seeing results. In order for us to be successful we were forced to go against advice from Regional and do what was working in other offices - under the radar. As long as you were making your numbers then Regional would leave you alone.

Seriously though - I would not recommend the MDA to anyone. It would be interesting to find out their turnover rates. There were four people in my office when I worked there NONE of them still work there. One made it just over a year, another made it under a year and the other one just put in her two weeks after being there for four years. There is a reason why retention is so low.

Advice to Management

Stop everything you are doing and start over.

"Don't settle for MDA!"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some amazing families, if you are allowed to actually get to know them.

Cons

Long hours, little pay, no bonuses, no comp time, unrealistic goals and expectations.

You are looked down upon for actually taking your vacation days.

Goals are set with out any actual forecasting or reviews of what these programs and organizations raised in previous years. It is very arbitrary and you are set up to fail from the beginning when budgets and goals are set in this manner.

Small, dirty, cluttered offices.

No organization.

Unqualified Regional, District and upper management (if you want to call them that). People are promoted based on how much the Regional team can control them.

Little to no respect for what is going on in the Employees personal life. Marriage, Death, Divorce - never a congratulations or sorry for your loss from anyone!

Extremely high turnover!

Difficulty filling positions. Positions will be vacant for up to a year (gee, I wonder why?) and you are still expected to exceed goals without any support or staff.

Never a "great job" it's always about what you didn't do or what didn't go well.

HORRIBLE, TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT. RUN!

I wish I could have back the years I worked here. I lost all of my self worth and actual marketable skills, thankfully the day you leave it all comes back!

Advice to Management

Move into the 21st century!

Lockups are a thing of the past.

Create a national sales team that recruits NATIONAL shamrock accounts. It is a waste of time and effort for a district office to be spending all day calling around fast food restaurants to find one district manager to sell $800 (if you are lucky) in shamrocks. A national account with a push from upper management (a la Lowe's) is much more successful and cost effective than the 8 Applebee's locations.

Focus on your walks! That's the future.

Let offices come up with other fundraising events instead of being limited to the "core programs" These programs do not work for every sponsor. You need to be flexible and open minded to other events.

Provide comp time! Employees do not want to work 7 days a week!