Muscular Dystrophy Association - Great potential, but still a long journey ahead | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

"Great potential, but still a long journey ahead"

Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with families
Team based culture
New ideas from CEO starting to come to fruition
Great new leadership coming in to org

Cons

Lack of technology
Lack of a clear vision
Ancient policies and benefits
Lack of a viable major signature fundraising strategy
Nothing in place for clear performance measurement

Advice to Management

Listen to the field. People in the senior management positions have been in these roles for decades and seem the most resistant to change and new ideas.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

1. "Best job I ever had"

Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some of the best families to make a difference in their lives, paid fairly for non-profit, get to have local autonomy and the support of a National office, hire great people who are dedicated and passionate about the cause, supportive management structure, paths for promotion

Cons

If you want to work in a job where you punch in at 9 and leave at 5 and take a long lunch, this isn't the place for you.

"Sinking ship..."

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The families served do benefit from the MDA's services but slowly these services are being scaled back - I guess it is more important to pay the CEO and his friends over $350,000 a year.

Cons

This is an edit. My first post had way too many points at the countless cons of MDA. In short. Keep looking, this company is going nowhere fast. I do not see the local offices making it to 2020.

Horrible work environment fostered by the mindless fools at the national and divisional level. They laugh all the way to the bank as they have no clue how to run an actual organization, they just knew the right people and/or kissed the right asses.

Advice to Management

Do not give in to the trickle-down scare tactics from the positions above you. Ask your superiors, "Why am I doing this?" "How do you expect us to meet these goals?" It will go a long way - it will help you coach your team to be successful, or (most likely) will prove that the higher management has no clue what they're doing.