Muscular Dystrophy Association - Problems galore and no one to report issues to. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

"Problems galore and no one to report issues to."

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and are very affordable. The vacation and sick time are separate hours, giving your more flexibility, plus the company also has many other holidays that are paid for during the year. You also get an anniversary and birthday off.

Cons

I have seen my director verbally bash everyone, from temp workers, to management, to patients and sponsors. I have experienced first hand being cursed and yelled at, told to shut up, and have been left in tears on my occasions. While an hourly employee, I was expected to work after hours, travel for events and then not be paid for my time or given comp time. The turn over rate is unbelievable due to a director that doesn't care about rules or policies, expects everyone to be a work horse, and more so, the complete disrespect that is shown for everyone, from the ground up. I have even witnessed their boss being cursed at by this individual and it is appalling. There is no one to report this to. This individual and their boss are friends, as well as the person above them. I have seen reports made to the higher ups and then calls directly to the director to then tell the director everything that was said and for them to handle it. There is no formal HR and it saddens me to know that the MDA will be a sunken ship due to individuals ripping it apart from the inside out.

Advice to Management

Give heed to complaints and reports and act on them. Do not sweep it under the rug. Employee's voices matter and there are wonderful people that have come and gone due to the effects from one individual. Make a way for individuals to report certain things anonymously. VALUE your employees and encourage comp time. There is no time for families and personal time and an employee that has no way to regroup and rest, will be worn out, tired, and completely burnt out on their job and therefore, will not work to the best of their ability.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

1. "Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great! Mission is amazing. Many people are veterans of 10-35 years. You wonder what keeps them here. That is what I hope for!

Cons

Compensation unfortunately is not competitive--

Advice to Management

review salary surveys in the different areas and become competitive to retain the newer staff...

2. "Fundraising Coordinator"

Pros

The job itself is a good opportunity for a first job. Ways to improve necessary skills like sponsor relations, communications, meeting budget goals, and more.

Cons

Company does not have a solid brand and no plan to improve it. Company as a whole is behind the times. Does not encourage creativity or improvement of programs. National management is out of touch for what happens in the field. Local office has poor management. My divisional director told me she did not like "dealing with office drama". Unfortunately no management leads to more drama and bad office culture.

Advice to Management

Great job in cleaning out the up upper management but it's time to take a close look at the field. Someone who has been at MDA for a long time might be valuable or they could be very detrimental to the success of the company.