Muscular Dystrophy Association - MDA ROCKS! | Glassdoor

"MDA ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for MDA for 12 years and I love it. I am very proud to tell people that I work for MDA and I am proud of the work that we do. MDA has excellent healthcare benefits, and is very generous with paid time off throughout the year. This company has always given me fair and generous compensation because I am an overachieving employee that has always met and exceeded the employee goals.

Cons

1. There are seasons of the year in which you must work evenings and weekends in order to meet the demands of sponsors. This at times become difficult to manage with a family. However, if you manage your time effectively you can figure it out.
2. There have been a lot of bad hires in the last several years. Some (not all) of the recent college grads feel that the are entitle to a hire salary position without ever "paying their dues". I have found that recent grads think that social media is the answer to all things, and that they expect that they should get raises without meeting their goals. This is frustrating to staff that have been working hard for years.

Advice to Management

Provide more training that is relevant to making the staff more well rounded employees versus program specific trainings. All staff need management, sales and people skills training that are taught by experts in the specific fields, not by MDA staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

1. "Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great! Mission is amazing. Many people are veterans of 10-35 years. You wonder what keeps them here. That is what I hope for!

Cons

Compensation unfortunately is not competitive--

Advice to Management

review salary surveys in the different areas and become competitive to retain the newer staff...

"Not good."

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to help people in need. Decent salary, but lots of events on weekends.

Cons

Poor management - My director supervisor was a twit. She did zero work except write nasty write up emails about my colleagues and I to her superiors. She offered little direction and never wanted to discuss issues.

Badly organized programs - MDA does events, such as Shamrocks and Lock ups. These are both antiquated programs, and no one is interested in buying a Shamrock or spending hours locked up in a restaurant.

Culture - Mainly women, so expect LOTS of cattiness. We were forced to dress up, but people rarely came into our office. It was a non-profit -- why dress up?

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of your directors and regional management. They do not offer any help to staff, except when it comes to throwing them under the bus.