Muscular Dystrophy Association - Great resume builder, not ideal for long-term | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

"Great resume builder, not ideal for long-term"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* There are clearly a host of Current Employees who have recently made it a point to do some PR by listing many "cons" on this site...take that info very, very cautiously. Do your own research (Charity Navigator).
*Great and worthy mission
*Some of the most deserving families. Seriously, this is what keeps you going amidst the chaos.
*Every bank/gov't holiday is observed
*Summer hours
*Great opportunity to add in-demand experience to your resume (sponsorship sales, event facilitation, marketing, volunteer coordination, project management...). Very thankful for this because, combined with my previous experience, it allowed me to land an awesome opportunity elsewhere pretty quickly!

Cons

*Disconnected leadership, both internally and with the 21st century
*Ambitious and lofty goals, but shallow knowledge on how to lead a team to such success (nationally, and as a result, regionally and locally).
*Hard to sell/promote outdated brand. An internal survey revealed that the general public of young adults have NO CLUE what MDA is! They're working on this...but it will be a very long journey.
*Unstable financial outlook = HIGH pressure on the field level to get $$$
*No retirement contribution
*No raises...nope...not even cost of living or merit based
*Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership.
*Quite honestly, it's just a hot mess internally. So often things would be last minute or unclear due to an intense scramble for much needed money. Also, because the organization is struggling to find its footing and invests nothing aside from annual salary in its employees, I would only advise working for MDA for the short-term to gain valuable experience. Run very quicly once you have some wins under your belt.

Advice to Management

PLEASE, for the sake of the families you help, educate yourselves outside of MDA and encourage your staff at all levels to do the same. There's a flourishing fundraising world that is rebounding since the recession - relying on what worked 20 years ago is simply incompetent and obsolete at this point. Also, until you invest in your staff, your turnover will remain high and detrimental to long term success.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

"Experiences to last a lifetime"

Current Employee - Area Director
    Current Employee - Area Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The impact you make and the people you meet will stay with you forever. If you "really get it" this job won't be just a job but so much more, it's something you can feel passionate about. It allows you to be creative, to make any program or event, just want you want it to be. You can take the ball and run with it and the people you touch throughout the process will end up touching you so much more! Working at MDA, you are surrounded by managers and co-workers who want you to succeed and are there to help you achieve your goals. The better you are at your job, the better it is for the company. It's a team environment and we are all here for the greater good of our families and mission.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, and it is tremendously difficult to find qulified employees to staff open positions. There is not a 403b match and raises are only offered with a promotion. That said, there is little room for growth without relocation unless the manager above you leaves his/ her position.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the work takes over and there is not time for team building or team meetings and those are really important. I think conferences or divisional meetings are also important to learn from other districts.

"It's a great feeling knowing that what you do every single day makes someone else's life better!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contributing to the greater good. I can't imagine ever working for a company that doesn't give back on the level that this one does.

Cons

We've been slow to embrace modern technology & methods. And sometimes a bit slow to train people on the new technology.

Advice to Management

Keep the forward momentum going please! We are only as good as the tools we can utilize.