Mutual of Omaha - Great overall learning experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mutual of Omaha

"Great overall learning experience"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Plymouth Meeting, PA
Current Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

Friendly working environment
Solid top management
Alot of freedom

Cons

Alot of employee turnover
All commission based

Other Employee Reviews for Mutual of Omaha

"Old company with old rules."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA

Pros

Rich 1099 contract for performance commissions
    Emphasis value in products and not arm twisting to get sales
    Lots of training

Cons

A communication disconnect with district offices and the home office that can really leave you feeling helpless.
    Incompetent underwriters can delay your commission

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Former Employee - Intern in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Englewood, CO

Pros

Good work experience if you've never had an actual desk job before in your life. Plus, you will get to learn a little bit about insurance and financial products. Internship programs is unique given that interns manage interns and not upper management!

Cons

As a fact the average age of a financial advisor today is 55. In other words it's a dying industry. Secondly the average retention rate at MOO for new agents is a meager 20%.Let's just say if you like to work in a conservative work enviornment you'll feel very at home here. Unlike the computer age we live in work at mutual is still done by hand! Management promises a fantastic career with all the bells and whistles that one would expect. Don't be fooled by the salary carrot that they will dangle in front of you. Your licenses including classes and exams come out of pocket. To top it off, if you do decide to join as an agent and remember you are working for an insurance company, you will receive no benefits. Additionally all leads for agents come out of pocket, including if you want your own office!

Importantly, if you are considering to join as an intern you must be aware that what they communicate to you in the interview is not the glorious job you would expect. Instead you will be essentially cold-calling for the entirety of the program. Yes you will have classes but there is a serious lack of task diversity.

It would be nice if they followed along with other internship programs and had interns stuffing envelopes and doing all the other glorified duties normal interns are required to do. It would even, if it sounds boring, spice things up a bit! Don't be surprised either at the pressure they will place on new interns to join in as full time agents, it's a bit daunting at first but be prepared! Most importantly however, my internship ended as I entered the office as I found out they were making cuts to the program. No forwarning! To say they honor commitments and want honesty within the program seems to be the last of their worries. Not a good example to set given their belief that they have invested so much money into the program and they want it to regarded as one of the best.

Advice to Management

Diversify the tasks for interns. Even an agent wouldn't be able to call for 6 straight hours! Stop putting pressure on interns to join as agents,, if we want to join let us make the decision on our own! Give sufficient advance before making cuts to the internship program, we have bills to pay! Please stop telling us how much the internship is costing you out of pocket, you want people to join not scare them off thinking your being a financial burdon! And finally use the tools at your disposal to make it a really great internship. Let us work with agents on a one on one basis so we can learn from what they do and be interested in the career! Let us help you, and listen to our sage advice. Even if we are only interns!