N.B. Handy - Well compensated for my efforts, by a company that has zero trust in its employees at the branch level. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for N.B. Handy

"Well compensated for my efforts, by a company that has zero trust in its employees at the branch level."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

When hired I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, and I must say that the company paid its sales force and management pretty well. There is a lot of knowledge within the company that one could and should take advantage of learning.

Cons

The company is slow to react to changes in its markets and even in its own work force. Taking 90 days to promote an in house employee to a vacated management position does not show a lot of confidence in their ability. Very distrustful of employees with proven real world experience. There is zero personnel development within its own ranks. If there is a job opening in the company 9 times out of 10 the company hires someone that is not already an employee. Sometimes it seems just as hard to work within the companies guidelines, and jumping through their hoops as it does to develop business against competition. Sales reps feel as though they are working against the competition as well as against their own company at times.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring consultants to tell you how to run your business!!! It has been family owned for 120 years, and if you haven't figured it out by now, find someone to sell it to. If you want to figure out how to do something better, ask employees who have actually had some experience with those things. Develop people from within, you would have a much happier work force if they thought there was an opportunity to advance.

Other Employee Reviews for N.B. Handy

1. "Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

Friendly People
    Great Environment
    Hours and expectations are generally in line with market norms
    Time off is reasonable
    Overtime available

Cons

Incompetent leadership at lower levels

Advice to Management

Look forward!

"Doing things right"

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at N.B. Handy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere. Just got raises. People call you by name and you are more than just a worker or a number. Good things are happening. CEO preaches and lives transparency. Management is approachable

Cons

Only have big trucks and our competitors can do better with smaller ones. Transfer system is broken. Needs to ask questions at all layers of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the encouraging openness. Do not forget where we were and avoid those pitfalls. Thanks for the raises. Need to expand our products. Decide what they are doing with HVAC equipment. Look at new territories.