NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Recent PhD new hire | Glassdoor

"Recent PhD new hire"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at JPL for about 6 months and everyone that I have worked with thus far has been incredibly enthusiastic about their work.

Cons

JPL's primary focus is on flight projects (such as the Mars rovers and other large scale NASA missions) and secondarily on technology, innovation and research. Coming in with a background in research (I just got my PhD), this was definitely a shift in mentality.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory2016-03-04
  1. "Summer 2019"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Pasadena, CA

I worked at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere full of people driving hard for a mission.

Cons

My mentor was great, but if you have a bad mentor, it is a bit tough to get help from others who are not your mentor.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory2019-11-02
  2. "JPL has a horrible top heavy management style that is bogged down in 1960's mentality"

Current Employee - Beware of JPL With It's Old Time Management Style in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

9/80 work schedule some minor retirement perqs at 55 interesting project work

Cons

Managers consider time at your desk as only productive time no room to grow in your career low pay - coupled with being located in one of the most expensive places to live in the US poor benefits despite what HR says horrible harassment by managers that is tolerated by all including HR Managers will threaten you if you complain

Advice to Management

Wake up to the fact that it's the 21st century and employees need and expect alternative work (i.e. teleworking, flex-working, etc). Also, when employees complain en masse about management or specific managers, HR needs to take them seriously.

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory2019-11-18

Discover more reviews about NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.