NAWC - Top Perfromers are not always recognized | Glassdoor
  1. "Top Perfromers are not always recognized"

Current Employee - Cybersecurity in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Flex Fridays - Benefits - Stability

Cons

The Scientific and Technology Reinvention Laboratory (STRL) pay plan hinders top performers from earning a higher salary once the upper limit of a pay band is reached. NAWCAD does not seem to be awarding large bonuses for performance to competent cybersecurity workforce members. The Federal Cybersecurity Workforce Strategy issued on July 12, 2016, details Government wide actions to identify, expand, recruit, develop..., retain, and sustain a capable and competent cybersecurity workforce in key functional areas to address complex and ever-evolving cyber threats. Agency leaders can award up to 25 percent of annual pay bonus for retaining a top performing employee. Being capped out in my current pay band getting a rating of 3 and a bonus of 4K just seems odd and a bit of a backhanded gesture. I had no reason to receive a 3 rating when I have been a 4 for several years other than I am at a control point in my band and no salary increase will be awarded but on the other hand let’s give a 4K bonus which is a slap in the face to someone with advanced degrees and certifications in cybersecurity. That small of a bonus is not a retention incentive if anything it sends a clear message that I can do better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Break down the competency fiefdoms that have been put in place by the deadwood senior leaders that exists within the organization. Recognize performance with meaningful awards/compensation. Look at the controls points within pay bands and get away from the GS mindset.

NAWC2019-01-08

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work schedule is great (flex schedule Monday-Thursday 6-4 flex Friday off working Friday 6-3 People are great and willing to help teach you jobs and give experience

Cons

Politics sometimes blur the vision of the mission or people’s selfishness get in the way of what’s more important

NAWC2019-07-20
  2. "Great Work, Boring Town"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots to learn; Plenty of opportunity

Cons

Processes slow things down; Lots of managers

NAWC2019-10-09

Discover more reviews about NAWC.