NBCUniversal - Where micro-managers prevail and creativity goes to die. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NBCUniversal

"Where micro-managers prevail and creativity goes to die."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Given that this is such a large company, you can definitely find some really amazing people here (of course, you can also find some less amazing people...)
The work can be super interesting and fulfilling because you're dealing with TV!
TVs are stationed at most people's desk. Even if you don't get one, they'll give you this software on your computer so you can access internet-enabled TV.
I had a sick office at 30 Rock with an amazing view, flat screen mounted on my wall, and I sat in a $1,000 chair.
You get to meet celebs. NBC forces them to sign autographs for us.
This was very much a 9am-5pm job, so the hours were great (if you're into that).
There are some good training opportunities.
They throw pretty swank parties.

Cons

This is such an enormous company that there is just so much red tape and bureaucracy. Nobody seemed all that interested in really making things better or more efficient or in making a real difference. I think my boss really just wanted to leave at 6pm every day. Every time I came to her with a new idea, she would ask me to stick to the template or tell me that wasn't my department. When I stayed late, she asked me not to and told me I had time management problems. It seems extreme micro-management is the management style of preference at this company. While I LOVE TV, the job eventually became pretty soul-crushing. I wasn't given any real responsibility and I'd basically get berated any time I tried to go above and beyond my job description. The people at the top have all been there for decades and there's little room for advancement if you're a newbie.

Advice to Management

Try to foster creativity and fire micro-managers.

Other Employee Reviews for NBCUniversal

"intern at nbc universal, los angeles, CA"

Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NBCUniversal as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

the employees are good people and are fun to work with. the executives are always willing to help and guide you whichever way they can

Cons

although the company culture is great, they don't offer any pay. also there is no guarantee that you will be hired after completion of your internship.

Advice to Management

please pay your interns

2. "Too political. Not focused on entertainment."

Former Employee - Category Manager in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Benefits are good.

Cons

Too corporate. Too many politics. More talk less action. Not focused on entertainment. Don't care about career development or their people. HR is a joke. Without a doubt the worst place I've ever worked. I do not recommend this place to anyone in entertainment. No in senior management had entertainment experience. Unbelieveable.

Advice to Management

Focus on making better content. Seems like too much focus is on ruining employees lives. Hire more people with entertainment knowledge.