NBCUniversal - Great people and community, but slow movement/growth within the organization. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NBCUniversal

"Great people and community, but slow movement/growth within the organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, community, and perks.

Cons

Internal movement and growth is not as prioritized - great stepping stone job.

Advice to Management

I loved my boss when I was there. He really took time to make sure I was happy. He was approachable, and we built a fantastic working relationship. There wasn't much of a growth opportunity for me with him, but he supported me when I decided I wanted to explore growing in a different department in the organization. My advice to upper management would be to invest in your employees. There's a lot of talk about it, and not much action. I eventually accepted an opportunity outside of the organization, and was sad to leave. I would have rather continued to learn and grow at NBCU.

Other Employee Reviews for NBCUniversal

1. "A good, large corporation to work for"

Former Employee - Vice President Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good benefits and mature corporate governance.
    - Good opportunity to move around between sister organizations under the NBCU umbrella.
    - Fairly casual and collaborative corporate culture.
    - Creative environment.
    - Strong yet very practical Legal team.

Cons

- Upriver governance from parent organization Comcast sometimes a little tone deaf.
    - Typical large organization dedication to supporting bad managers at the cost of good workers - this is an unfortunate necessity that NBCU hasn't figured out any better than any other large corp I've worked at.
    - There is a training program but it is not as widely supported as it could or should be.
    - Poor and erratic centralized talent acquisition support systems/procedures.
    - NBC companies have the ability to significantly underpay low level workers thanks to the cache of the brand.
    - Sprit of collaboration sometimes contributes to reduced and diluted agility.
    - Bad news or pessimistic outlooks are rejected as bad attitude (rightfully) but also at the cost of heeding sometimes valid advice.
    - Dedication to brand autonomy is sometimes detrimental to centralized efficiencies that might be leveraged. (But Comcast seems to have an interest in increasing centralization so this may change in coming years.)

Advice to Management

See pros/cons above but overall this is a good company at which I would be happy recommend or work at again.

2. "Could be worse"

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Universal City, CA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Universal City, CA

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time

Pros

option to purchase stock
    a lot of very friendly and intelligent people work here
    decisions are made fairly quickly
    overall good atmosphere

Cons

10 vacation when you start
    Employee appreciation is pretty bad, you dont even get movie tickets, DVD's or Park tickets comes X-Mas, food in the cafeteria is expensive...nothing, nada zero
    No bonus for management level

Advice to Management

appreciate your employees !