NBCUniversal - Great people, Ok compensation | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NBCUniversal

"Great people, Ok compensation"

Former Employee - Manager in Universal City, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Management doesn't get any better - a place where people truly care about their employees
2. Business units work together - never had a problem getting information I needed
3. People are great
4. Benefits and compensation ok - bonuses for employees not at Director level and above are discretionary and not a significant amount
5. Good place to learn the business
6. Access to theme park and screenings

Cons

1. Didn't feel like I was working with the best in the business - some co-workers were there much longer than me but had no idea what they're doing and just getting by under the radar
2. Promotions are somewhat political - altho this seems like a common issue at most studios/jobs
3. Salary is much higher at other studios (ie, WB and Sony) - for same role I could've been making 20% more + bonus
4. The better you are at your job, going above and beyond becomes the norm - your bosses don't notice when you become that person doing 10+ hour days while everyone else does 8

Advice to Management

Make employees accountable for their work. Be clear on employee expectations. Management team is one of the best I've ever worked with - I 100% respected the Director + VP I worked with.

Other Employee Reviews for NBCUniversal

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of different areas to move between

Cons

Can get lost in the shuffle... company could look out for employee development more

"It's Probably What You Would Expect"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are cool, some of the usual "working at a major network" perks. The good people stick together. You'll be ready to work at any other place after working here. My direct supervisor was pretty great, but unfortunately with the disorganization of the department, it wasn't enough.

Cons

It started off great, I was a valued member of the team, won awards, and contributed more than many, but when I left no one batted an eyelash. They're used to people leaving and so focus on other things instead of trying to figure out how to make the good ones want to stay.

Low pay if you're even remotely near entry level. There's an attitude of "well, if you won't deal with this, we'll just find someone else who wants it more, even if they're not the best fit and you're brilliant." They expect very few people to do more and more. The people above don't really know how to do what the people below them do, so it's a lot of pressure. Very hard to take any days off, even though you more than earn them. Lots of feelings of being thrown under the bus by superiors for things that are not your fault (and sometimes an oversight of a superior). They won't always stand up for you if it means "ruffling the feathers" of their internal clients. Over the top corporate atmosphere. No one ever "remembers" how to do the annoying but necessary tasks and so they all fall on the one person who actually admits to having a memory. The saddest is having to schedule interviews for people you know won't get the job because a candidate is already picked out. However, you have to schedule them anyway so that they can hit a "diversity" quota, and that's pretty unfair to the interviewees.

Advice to Management

Please consider what it means to the rest of your employees when you keep paying the already highest paid people more and more while limiting the salaries and hourly rates/overtime of those below. They won't want to grow there and there will continue to be high turnover.