NCR - Toxic Environment in IT. Management Driving Everyone Away Fast! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NCR

"Toxic Environment in IT. Management Driving Everyone Away Fast!"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Duluth, GA
Current Employee - IT Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at NCR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ The System and Network Engineers are best in class. Unfortunately, management doesn't trust anyone to do their jobs so everyone will leave for better opportunities.
+ You'll get exposed (emphasis) to new technologies, but they will all be purchased/licensed without full functionality -- so you'll be hamstrung supporting sub-par solutions on outdated and failing infrastructure.
+ Again, the people who are the DOERS -- The actual Analysts & Engineers - are a terrific team of people who, better or worse, end up working 14 hour days, evenings and weekends just to keep the lights on...

Cons

+ Toxic Management. Seriously, go to a meeting and you'll have managers -- or so-called Architects -- yelling and being completely condescending to their teams. Listening is non-existent. All management is bi-polar. You'll get inundated with 'cheer' marketing and a lot of lip service, but 100% of the time, every time you'll have managers yelling and belittling their team members. Then wondering why turnover is so high. Repeat annually with a 'new and improved retention and talent plan' that never changes...because the IIT management remains the same.
+ Forget Any Work Life Balance. Depending on your org / manager, you may be able to enjoy a few hours with your spouse or family....unless you are in T&I (technology & infrastructure). Then be sure to count on Texts, Calls, Emails (in rapid succession) from everyone and anyone. Every weekend. Every 'vacation day'. Every holiday.
+ Management in IT is frankly EMBARASSING to NCR in the way Both Employees and Vendors are treated. NCR IT management would have you believe Cisco, VMware, and every other global vendor has no idea what they are doing ... and belittle vendors. Meanwhile, all the solutions they criticize, management has no real idea how any of it technically works or how the rest of the 'REAL' world implements it without any problems whatsoever. So, NCR IT doesn't provide value to the employees, burns out their resources, and focuses on keeping old, outdated infrastructure barely going. If you are an IT professional, look elsewhere (all the IT engineers are getting flooded with recruiters and being rightfully wooed to companies that actually know what they are doing, and also know how to treat people.

Advice to Management

The Executive Leadership Team -- outside of IT -- IS doing a good job. Unfortunately, changing IT won't happen with the current crop of 'leaders' in the technology management roles. Sadly, most of the T&I managers, if they were to ever actually step outside of NCR and work anywhere else, would be terminated in week if they were to treat employees like they believe they can AT NCR. Advice to NCR LT: your resources are being recruited by VERY visible companies in Atlanta and even in Sillicon Valley. You have talented people, but they leave because of the IT management driving them into the ground.

Other Employee Reviews for NCR

"If you expect to be valued for your abilities and efforts........ this is not the place for you"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at NCR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

get along well with co-workers
    van and gas card
    good insurance so far

Cons

NCR now wants to dock us nearly $100 a month for 'personal' use of the van that they require us to have and store at our homes when not in use, and by the way, that does not give you permission to use it for any personal needs unless it is incidental like stopping in at a walmart to take a whiz. All management is driven by metrics, it's all about him/her and making him/her look good all of the time......upper management gives lip service and does nothing to correct problems, they (all management) ignore emails and phone calls for the most part, can't even get basic questions answered, forget about taking an issue to next higher level or further ...... they don't care about your petty questions or issues. All the other comments posted herein about work/life are 100% correct ....... they use you, abuse you, and then they kick you to the curb. No advancement possibility and if you do, the only reward you will get is more abuse. Have had personal discussions with immediate management, does not really care a whit about customers and their needs ...... just his bottom line. There is no pay for performance here, don't expect any annual increase and if you are so lucky to get something, it will be 1%. Bonuses are a joke, they always find some 'metric' reason to deny it to you.

Advice to Management

Retire and give new blood a shot at making this a company us CE's will stop badmouthing. We carry your water every day, and you disrespect us every day, we're just your minions. You put out surveys, obviously you pay no attention to them or things would begin changing.
    Perhaps if you gave us the ability to construct performance appraisals on our managers ,.... that might make us feel a little better, but then we would have to have some reason to believe that you would actually pay attention to it.

"NCR pushes employees to work 24 hours per day, 7 days per week."

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Savanna Place, GA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Savanna Place, GA

I worked at NCR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a 19 year veteran, I enjoyed the first 16 of my career at NCR. They built the best financial equipment that money could buy.

Cons

NCR has lost focus on how to invest relative to people and product. Managing quarter to quarter has kept NCR afloat in the shareholders eyes. Continuous Improvement (Six Sigma) processes are killing NCR's ability to manage by traditional processes. People are working incredible hours with no time off. Lean processes are cutting jobs and forcing employees to provide the work of three individuals. Many of their star employees have jumped to other comparable companies. Ethically, NCR does not recognize the value of the working employee. Their push to certify their entire organization to the Six Sigma world has blindfolded them from seeing how successful the could have been. Six Sigma projects are mismanaged and not certified at the management level. These projects are added to the business functionality without providing justification or Proof of Concept. The end result is the elimination of jobs and the extention of the employee work day/week.

Advice to Management

NCR has hope if they could eliminate their continuous improvment division. Six Sigma is a wonderful tool for management to utilize. However, it cannot be depended upon as a full time crutch against internal departments. Attempt to believe and invest in your "people" and not in your "cut backs". Look around at what others companies have done with employee satisfaction and take note. It isn't all about the "bottom line for the quarter".