"Software Development"

4.0
     in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete

Pros

If you appreciate work-life balance, flexibility, the ability to work remotely, a diverse team, good people, and a generous number of vacation days (though this only applies to certain departments), you will be happy here. The flexibility/vacation are the best benefits that NCSA provides - it's excellent for parents and artists, and it makes up for a lot of the pain points working here. You'll generally be able to stick to 40 hours/week, which is a plus. If you're a good cultural fit for the team, there's a lot to make you happy at NCSA, and you'll find a better gender and racial/ethnic balance than you will in most tech firms. We really do have great people who are available to answer questions, pitch in as needed, etc. Within the dev team, opinions are valued, and people are encouraged to speak up, address issues, and bring ideas. Of course there's always room for improvement, but on the whole, the VP of Engineering is one of the best supervisors I've had (and I'm not just saying that). If he were to leave, the engineers would probably migrate away in short order.

Cons

NCSA is ruled by sales, not tech, so if you're used to more software-driven companies it can be frustrating to work here - a lot is dictated by the business/sales side and on the whole, the company doesn't trust engineering's expertise. The company is also somewhat suspicious on the whole of the Software Dev department, because we're paid relatively well compared to most of the company (though you'll be paid below market rate for engineering - if high pay is your most important job requirement, NCSA won't be a good fit) and don't work much overtime (other departments are much more likely to do so, and they don't recognize the diminishing returns you can get with coding past a certain point). The more senior you are, the more likely you are to be frustrated with the codebase and processes. Many (perhaps even most) of the senior people at NCSA - including the CEO and much of the exec team - don't have much experience in other organizations and with other ways of doing things. They generally were promoted from within and understand the company well, but not the outside world (i.e. industry standards and best practices), which can produce some sticky situations and less than ideal results. The company doesn't think holistically about its products.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2017-03-23

NCSA Next College Student Athlete Response

May 9, 2017VP of Engineering

Thanks for your review and candid thoughts. I’m glad to see that you’re enjoying your time on our team and are happy with the many perks and benefits we have to offer our teammates. While strategies are not always fully shared to the entire employee base, they are well thought and defined. A company of our size can’t maintain growth without precise strategies being implemented from the top down. There is a tension, specifically around software development, that the strategy needs to be clear to drive out the product. If you are unclear on the plan or strategy behind a product or feature, please ask your manager or the business stakeholder involved to clarify. Everyone should be open and available to provide the necessary detail to make your decisions come from an informed place.

"Supportive and helpful Staff!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a Recruiting Coordinator at NCSA for just under 2 years. During my time at the company, I was very happy with the work environment, management and culture. Although I had a great experience, in reality the coordinator position is not typically a lifelong career. This being said, after two years I had found another great opportunity in sales that I felt would help me take a positive step forward in my career. During this transition, I had nothing but support from my manager and higher level leadership at the company. They helped make my transition seamless, and wanted what was best for me and my future career path. It was great to have a relationship with them that warranted support and transparency. Like many others I was impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic and found myself out of work before my new job began. I was extremely grateful that my direct manager and the VP of recruiting were kind enough to allow me to come back to NCSA given the circumstances. It really speaks on their character and the respect that they have for their employees! I highly recommend working for NCSA.

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2020-04-24

"Great Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA Next College Student Athlete full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing people and understanding managers - Clearly defined goals - Making a real difference in peoples lives - Talk about sports all day long - Good commission scale and opportunities for bonuses - Ability to work from home

Cons

- Sales can be monotonous if you are not self-motivated but it beats the heck out of any other sales job that requires you to be on the phone most of the day by a longshot

NCSA Next College Student Athlete2020-04-22

Discover more reviews about NCSA Next College Student Athlete.