NHS Human Services - Big corporation but lots of clinical experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NHS Human Services

"Big corporation but lots of clinical experience"

Current Employee - Counselor in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at NHS Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to choose activities and curriculum for clients

Cons

Emphasis on productivity and numbers

Advice to Management

Find a more humane approach for motivating employees than with threatening emails

Other Employee Reviews for NHS Human Services

"Depressing atmosphere. Mentally/emotionally/physically draining."

Current Employee - Fee for Service Therapist in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Fee for Service Therapist in State College, PA

I have been working at NHS Human Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have the flexibility to make our own hours, however, if this is your only job and you need as many hours as you can possibly get, that becomes tricky.

Cons

-way too many rules that are easy to break (can't be alone with clients without a guardian/parent in same room), no touching clients, no 'restraining' clients when they become physically aggressive, cannot follow clients if they happen to wander/take off...these are all fireable offenses.
    -fee for service TSS jobs are truly thankless positions when we work our butts off for our clients and this company.
    -Absolutely NO compensation for doing paperwork (aka notes) even though they take up a pretty nice chunk of time. Example: If you happen to have a 6 hour shift with a client and start off at home for 1.5 hrs, that's one note. If you leave and go out into community for 2 hrs, that's another note. if you come back to the home after being out in the community for the last 2.5 hrs...THAT'S ANOTHER NOTE!! 3 notes for 1 shift. It's exhausting and we really SHOULD be compensated for our time spent (wasted) on notes that probably no one but the BSC's even read.
    -Overtime pay does not exist. At least for fee for service employees.
    -Huge job turnover. No one seems to stay very long. No real way to advance in this company unless you want to go back to school for a masters/doctorate, and at that point...would you really want to work for a company like this?

Advice to Management

Treat your TSS's with the respect they deserve. Compensate us fairly. With the amount of things we are NOT allowed to do, we still manage to do our jobs and keep our clients moving in a positive direction when others seem to have no idea how to handle them.

2. "Dangerous Place"

Former Employee - Mental Health Coordinator in York, PA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Coordinator in York, PA

I worked at NHS Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lack of management accountability, policies change hour to hour. Clients that assault staff are shielded by mgmt from staff reporting incidents to police. Some clients allowed to assault staff w/o penalty while minority clents punnished to fullest extent of law.

Cons

Glass walls/windows are regularly broken and left in place. Blood, urine, feces in client rooms, ignored by housekeeping (don't ask them to clean anything, they are sleeping) Upper management is oblivious to poor/illegal operations in York facility. Favoritism, arbitrariness, and subtle racism towards clients and staff

Advice to Management

Clean up your York operations. Replace county director as this person is grossly under-qualified and over matched. Wonder why you are loosing money in York? The management team is incompetent.