NHS - Working for the NHS | Glassdoor

"Working for the NHS"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

Pros

I love working here because it's the best pay that I've ever know. It combines my two loves, computers and people. Working here gives me great satisfaction, knowing that I'm helping people everyday and that I could be saving someones life, by making sure that our PC's are up and running correctly. We are in a very close-knit team of about 9 people and I love it. Everyone gets along and is friendly and it is just a great place to be. Im proud to say that I work for the NHS, it's better than saying that I work at McDonalds or somewhere like that. That had to be the most embarrassing point of my life!!! But it's absolutely wicked working here. I would recommend it any day.

Cons

I suppose the only thing about this place that I don't like is I don't really get any feedback about how I'm doing. I asked the other day as I wanted to know. My manager said to me that we only really tell you how you are doing when you are doing something wrong. If you are doing well, then we won't say anything to you. I don't think that's fair, and it's not motivational really.

Advice to Management

Tell us how we are doing. Just that really. Oh and more perks for putting up with stressy people would be good. Although the £17k p/a is a perk in itself really.

Other Employee Reviews for NHS

1. "Biomedical Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

The pension plan is good. NHS discounts on food, mobile phone plans, and many others merchants

Cons

Hours can vary greatly. Shift work is common. Always a shortage of staff and high stress environment

2. "Waste of time"

Former Employee - Outpatient Therapist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Outpatient Therapist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NHS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-can make your own hours from 8am-8pm

Cons

-fee for service, over half of your clients will cancel,most with zero notice
    -minimum of 10 hours billable time (aka expect to sit in an office for 20 hours prepping,doing service notes,treatment plans,your schedule, missed appointment letters etc and not getting paid for it)
    -no supplies were provided, there's a box of useless things in each office
    -no separate restrooms for employees, awkward walking in and seeing your client or their family in there
    -little support from anyone

Advice to Management

Get rid of fee for service. Every therapist I talked to would have gathered a pay cut to be paid every office hour over a higher rate per hour that the client actually shows up to.