NHS - The death of ambition | Glassdoor

"The death of ambition"

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Maidstone, England (UK)
Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Maidstone, England (UK)

Pros

If you are satisfied to do a poor job and have absolutely no ambition, then the total absence of any feedback or link between performance and pay means that your pay and carrer will progress at exactly the same rate as the most commitited and exceptional performer.
Also, if you like to have a considerable time "off-sick" then you can without fear of reprisal.

Cons

If you are results focused and expect recognition and reward for your commitment then you will be bitterly disappointed. Salaries in non clinical positions are about 40% below the market rate.

Advice to Management

Introduce training and career advice for all employees not just clinical staff, women or those from Minority Ethnic backgrounds.
Introduce frequent appraisals for all staff with specific, measurable, realistic, achiveable and time based objectives and financially reward empoloyees for acheiving them - an atta boy is nice, but it doesn't pay the mortgage.
Stop wasting money by paying under achievers the same as talented committed staff.

Other Employee Reviews for NHS

1. "Job satisfaction hampered by political disruption."

Current Employee - Chief Information Officer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chief Information Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

Pros

Commitment to a socially valuable enterprise.
    Opportunities to seek job moves around the country.

Cons

Instability due to frequent, politically-inspired, reorganisations disrupts progress.
    Restrictions due to frequent budget cut-backs, recruitment freezes etc

Advice to Management

Resist structural reorganisation.

2. "Working for the NHS"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

Pros

I love working here because it's the best pay that I've ever know. It combines my two loves, computers and people. Working here gives me great satisfaction, knowing that I'm helping people everyday and that I could be saving someones life, by making sure that our PC's are up and running correctly. We are in a very close-knit team of about 9 people and I love it. Everyone gets along and is friendly and it is just a great place to be. Im proud to say that I work for the NHS, it's better than saying that I work at McDonalds or somewhere like that. That had to be the most embarrassing point of my life!!! But it's absolutely wicked working here. I would recommend it any day.

Cons

I suppose the only thing about this place that I don't like is I don't really get any feedback about how I'm doing. I asked the other day as I wanted to know. My manager said to me that we only really tell you how you are doing when you are doing something wrong. If you are doing well, then we won't say anything to you. I don't think that's fair, and it's not motivational really.

Advice to Management

Tell us how we are doing. Just that really. Oh and more perks for putting up with stressy people would be good. Although the £17k p/a is a perk in itself really.