NIKE - This is a great place to work if you want various experiences | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NIKE

"This is a great place to work if you want various experiences"

Current Employee - Procurement/Sourcing Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Procurement/Sourcing Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at NIKE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company that allows you to work on various projects. If you want experience in lots of areas than this is a good company to work for.

Cons

There are a lot of politics so promotion is about who you know not what you know.

Advice to Management

N/A

Other Employee Reviews for NIKE

"N/A"

Pros

Paid well after being there for a long time. Good benefits if your full time.

Cons

A lot of favoritism, what matters most is who you know and not how hard you work.

"Great job for people going to college or high school..."

Current Employee - Full-Time Athlete in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Full-Time Athlete in Boston, MA

I have been working at NIKE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff dress (uniforms, shoes, walkies,etc...) and they discount (30% off Nike factory stores and other Nike "owned" companies, 40% Niketowns) on all products including markdowns. Some fellow athletes and coaches will become your friends for life because you go through the same up and downs company-wise. Therefore you might be able to relate to them and the bonds you will create be well above school or college bonds. I met people some people from my city, and/or my school and we have become closer than if we were just schoolmates or good neighbors. Some managers will really look out for you, because they know you're a team. Some of them are also are very patient. Also, if people like you at Nike, you will get great support from them which is always a good thing because you never know when you'll have a bad day and mess up on things. There are other perks working at Nike especially if there are restaurants surrounding your store. I have discounts in some restaurants because I work for Nike (but you must realize this is not common with all Nike stores). It depends on the business or partnership (coupons and gifts) between a restaurant owner and your coaches.

Cons

Favoritism is very noticeable at Nike. I'm lucky because people love me for my personality because I'm naturally cool, therefore I have great support from my fellow athletes. But I seen people who work at Nike and don't get along with athletes and the majority of the coach. Consequently, they are seen as outcast and people don't even acknoledge their existence when they need help performing a team project. This will help me introduce the next topic which is" high school or freshman college mentality".The culture in a store setting is very much like this. Since many of the people you will meet st Nike are from the same "current" school, they will form cliques and act just like they were misfits or brats at "school". These kids have no work ethics. You will hear, see a lot of gossiping from such people. These kind of people won't hesitate to backstab you in front of your leads and coaches because you simply don't share the same views. The more mature and stable ones (21+) are great to be around with. Sometimes, you will be surprised see leads and coached act like high school brats and immature college or graduate people. It happens... Rather, you need to realize that you will experience high school and freshman college mentality in your store and that's a fact. Unless, you have the perfect personas all engulf in you store. Even the perfect High school in "high school musical" showed cliques, favoritism, and backstabing are a regular thing even in the best schools. And A Nike store (factory or town) is like a big school where the only difference is you get paid. With this in mind, you will be able to endure since you get paid to deal with chronic psychos and bipolar people. Some of your coaches will be really immature. They will have their bad days and will direct that negative energy to coworkers who haven't done anything wrong. And if a coach or lead doesn't like you, it will be hard for you to move up or be protected against those who don't and will never like you (yeah this happens too, and for no reasons). They want the privilege to be called managers and yet they still act like (Say it with me!) "high school brats and freshman college kids". A great person once said, I'll paraphrase: "You want to know a person's true character, give them power".

Advice to Management

Grow up and acts like professionals. We're not in high school anymore. Take the time to listen to athletes when they want to justify and action rather then arguing like we're kids. Professionals take the time to listen their employees and, above all, they treat them as equal. Walking with a different attire/"staff dress", a clipboard and coach gadgets doesn't make you everything you do or say right. Rate athletes based on their perfomance rather than popularity. If we were not popular, some of us would already get fired because not everyone works hard. They just take advantage of the fact it's a great company and they can either be a ghost or a bell on a baby's pacifier. Do your job, and get rewarded with a faithful staff because at the end of the day, the staff is the coach's best asset.