NORDAM - NORDAM: More Cons than Pros | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NORDAM

"NORDAM: More Cons than Pros"

Current Employee - Everyone Who Loves NORDAM
Current Employee - Everyone Who Loves NORDAM

Pros

I joined NORDAM because of her excellent culture which is shown to be uniquely marketed. A company really is shaped by her leaders, they were good when I joined, but with the departure of some good managers and the promotion of the least desirable types. I can only say that it has gone downhill. I look back at the good'o days with a sad smile.

Cons

For the record, NORDAM does not have employees working in Kabul, so I assume the previous reviewer just planned on keeping his/her identity secret, for fear of repercussion. I do agree with the points and would like to add some that were not raised. The political scene at NORDAM is quite prevalent, everyone in the top level are constantly "covering ass". For example, a lot of managers are starting to not make simple decisions and insisting on others like technical staff or support staff making the decision. In fact, most managers do not know their work or what they are saying sometimes and rely on chasing other to get the job done. One example was when an urgent issue cropped up near the deadline and immediate resolution was needed, you would expect the director to be concerned, no, he had gone home with full knowledge of the situation. The manager was no help as he only want to settle the problem in the fastest possible (not necessary the safest) way, the only catch is that he did not agree to put his name on the dodgy idea of his. Both person were only focused on who to pin the blame on. And that is what is lacking in NORDAM, accountability. Without accountability, managers can get off with giving silly ideas and/or failures that are under their charge, as long as there is someone else who puts their name on the dotted line. With that same line of thought, we seldom see the management gutsy enough to sign off with their names. Very often, they are quick to take the glory of coming up with some dodgy idea to solve a problem, and when it does not work out, the workers performing the wonderful plan takes the rap.

In fact, most managers realized that NORDAM is a place for speedy promotion without any aviation experience or knowledge, all they have to do is put up an elaborate show for the CEO and she will be impressed. It is the typical “What she does not know, will not hurt the paycheck” sort of mindset. I know what I am saying is bad, and I am ashamed to bring this up, but the things that go on without the knowledge of the CEO, is not doing justice for her, especially since she is a good leader with a strong mind. It is common for most correspondence to not include the CEO, so only the good news will be sent to her. Operational deviations, projects that do not take flight, grievances rarely reach that level. Not that that is bad, if these are handled properly, but mostly, the root problem is that such things are ‘sweep under a rug’ rather than resolved.

One of the biggest problems at NORDAM is that it does not matter how good you are at your job - as long as you have the right connections, you can do absolutely nothing and still get promoted. Most managers form alliance to consolidate power and mutually praise each other, or to eliminate those they deem as threatening to their career.

Lastly, would it hurt so much to give credit to those who help do your bidding, or help clean up the mess you created? If managers treated their employee better and not be so eager to take credit for the labor of others, they would have more people willing to slog for them. Like the old saying goes, a monkey can replace a manager, in fact they are cheaper and more entertaining.

Advice to Management

There are lots to improve on and if you are concerned with the well-being of NORDAM, you should be able to sieve out majors points from what I have written above. I hope you have a change of heart and feel conscientious enough to take action.
But if I know you better, I hope the monkeys come sooner..

Other Employee Reviews for NORDAM

1. "Continuous Improvement Intern"

Former Intern - Industrial Engineer Intern in Tulsa, OK
    Former Intern - Industrial Engineer Intern in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Real projects were given and a mentor was along side you as you solved these problems. The internship was beneficial to my education and was also enjoyable with the multiple events we got to participate in.

Cons

The environment was older and very established. Most people have worked there for 10+ years, making it a less "age diversified" company.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Extremely interactive internship program."

Former Intern - Intern in Tulsa, OK
    Former Intern - Intern in Tulsa, OK

I worked at NORDAM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Interns work on individual projects throughout the semester that actually have an impact on the company. Positive intern experience.

Cons

Company could have better social and work-life balance