NPD - Great company to intern with! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NPD

"Great company to intern with!"

Former Intern - Intern In Consumer Insights in Port Washington, NY
Former Intern - Intern In Consumer Insights in Port Washington, NY

I worked at NPD as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It's very easy to get time with top management to ask any questions you have about the company, their area of expertise, etc.
People work there often for many years, so it's likely that any person can point you in the right direction to get things done outside of your department.
Summer hours available to interns.

Cons

It's hard to cover NYC's living expenses with the salary.
Commuting requires a car, or train. Train is expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for NPD

"Great starter job for college grads, not for people with mid level experience+"

I worked at NPD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Would recommend to someone out of college to spend first 1-2 years here to get their feet wet. Also awesome time off package. Who lets you roll some of your unused vacation days over these days? NPD does! Start entry level people off with almost 3 weeks PTO. That's really good! Good holiday time off too.

Cons

Not somewhere for anyone with more than 5 years of outside experience. Found out I was working far below my skill level, although HR made it seem like a lateral move. Did more when I was 24 elsewhere than I did in my 30's at NPD. Working across the aisle is discouraged even when the goal is not getting accomplished and requires more team work. Very adherent to the rigid hierarchical structure. They would rather wait for a client to tell them they are wrong than take a tip from a new person with many years of industry related research experience. Important info is not documented and put in a communal place to inform the whole team. Hands on training is everything; you can have a million webinars and seminars, but giving someone the work to handle themselves is how they learn.

Advice to Management

Look at people as individuals and see what they can uniquely offer. Don't try to shoe-horn everything into a rigid box. Also, HR please be more transparent. Don't up-sell just to fill a position. Just be honest.

2. "Client development has great people who work hard"

Current Employee - Client Development in Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Client Development in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at NPD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and work life balance, managers who care and focus on career development

Cons

pay is low compared to some other market research firms, like IRI or nielsen

Advice to Management

take more time and opportunities to develop employees, invest in them and they will invest more in the company and their roles